VFD conversion via solid state electronic components. PM1440GT, VFD, 3-phase

My electronics aging has more to do with procrastination, thinking about buying a better 3-Phase motor, and other projects getting in the way than burn-in. I'll have to have a look at the Yaskawa drive I have to see if it has two braking inputs. Great idea with the foot-switch tie-in. I'll have to keep that in mind too because my G0505G has a foot brake. My thought was to have a switch on the foot brake that tells the VFD to turn off the output immediately about halfway through the actuation of the foot brake. Not sure about how well that will work though.

For little projects, I use ExpressPCB for prototype quantity boards. It will import netlists from schematic capture programs and you get the boards in about a week. Who do you use for boards?

I also use ExpressPCB here, very happy with their service. Mainly for custom industrial and medical equipment, I don't really need production quantities. I'm mainly involved in industrial and medical equipment support throughout the Caribbean and the shop is setup to facilitate troubleshooting, repair, refurbishing and calibration of such and also to design and manufacture custom equipment.

Hi @Reddinr and @Cletus

Yes, I realized what you were really saying about 10 seconds after I hit the send button! Isn't it always that way. Anyway, if aging makes electronics more valuable I could sell off some of my 50 year old investments! I think I purchased some of my first transistors in the early 70's and probably still have some of them. Old carbon resistors made back then seem to change value over that time period! I also remember rebuilding my Dynaco 120 Stereo Amp. about that same time. I was still in graduate school. Shortly after that I had a job for a couple of summers where I designed electronics. One project was to built a multi output power supply for a company, Hendrix Electronics, Londonderry NH, who was building and selling text editor machines to the news paper industry. We worked out of some old air force barracks. Later I think they moved to Manchester, NH and got a real building. This is before there were any PCs around, think PDP-8. But we made our own pcbs. I even used tape layout to do the board layouts which were then imaged down at about 20x scale, before they made the boards for me. No auto routers back then.

LSI components were ICs with a couple of flip-flops in it! At that time there was a brand new device that could be had. It was called a 4 bit up counter with carry. No such thing as a down counter yet, so in one project I had to build my own up-down counter from discrete components! We have all come a long way since then.

Yes, my graduate students used ExpressPCB or something like them, but I have not for a long time. To tell you the truth it is nice to have a pcb built, but I prefer to debug circuits where I have lots of room to work and see. The eyes are fading along with other things! Once, they are working then why not a pcb. Surface mount is even harder to work with, but I have the equipment. So I just get down my old supply of discrete components and go at it. In this case once I had everything working I just quit. But a pcb would make things smaller and maybe more reliable.

Before I retired I taught and did research at a major university, EE, Physics, and Materials. There was another process that is available to actually made ICs, called the MOSIS service. It was set up by our military to enable them and everyone else to make small quantities of ICs, before committing to full production runs. You do a full production run and made a mistake it is very expensive. Even small IC masks are multiple $10,000. So doing everything over can be 100Ks just to get the masks made. Several of my colleagues used this service. I only used it once. https://themosisservice.com/ Anyway, if you need small quantities of ICs, logic or analog, one can sign up. They call the service multi-project wafer design. The service takes lots of folks different designs and merges them on to a single wafer for processing. They use a hand full of commercial IC companies to process the wafers and when they are done they package your ICs and send them back to you. Actually affordable, a few $K, if you really need this. Even less for a student. However, you need some computer tools to do the modelling and the layouts. You send them a Gerber file and they do the rest. If you need speed this is the only way to go. There used to also be a service via them where you can even do MEMS devices. You can imagine it takes a while to get the devices back.

Sorry for wandering off topic. Thanks for looking at my post.

PS. @Cletus , do you make it to the Caymans? My wife and I have been scuba diving there for about the last 15 years. Really nice. We usually go in the summer when the crowds are smaller. Anyway, they closed down during covid so it has been a while since they would let us in.

Well, I've been going to Grand Cayman to support one of the private hospitals there, but I have not been there in about three years. I miss that place and the copious amounts of beer hanging out at "Peppers", I even ended up on-stage playing guitar there one night in a drunken stupor :laughing:
I started my EE career back in the 70's here where we used to manufacture Ferrite Core Memory systems for Dataram Corp and United Telecontrol Electronics. Two years ago I built myself a Dynaco 120W stereo amplifier using KT88s. So, we do have similar interests, although I never did get to scuba dive! :D

If you can still swim you can scuba dive. However, if you are over 70 or not in good shape I would not advise it. Over 70 seems to be the point where instructors are hesitant. Take the week course in the states so that you can actually dive when in the Caymans. The courses are all about safety. You have to have a certification card to rent equipment. We have been using Ambassador Divers for years. Nice folks.

Ferrite Core Memory! Wow, it would seem you have been around for a while too. I did R&D in Hard Disk Drives for years. Lots of magnetism and magnetic materials.

Wow, interesting careers! I feel like a relative newbie. My EE training was in the early '80s. Spent much of my career at small companies and then my own consulting business for the last 15 years. Did magnetic design, power design digital design, and firmware/software for industrial, military, and medical applications. The components do keep getting smaller. I ended up with a binocular microscope to aid in putting together SMT prototypes. I usually just go for a PCB right from the start and cut/jumper as needed to save time and because of ego (this time I'll get it 100% right!). I gave up on assembly for anything below 0603 parts and .025 spacings or any quantity >2 pieces. Now that I'm nearing/at retirement I guess I need to figure out what to do with all the test equipment I've accumulated. I also probably need to part with the old UV EPROMS and 68000 processors and 78xx etc. parts I have laying around.

Hi Folks,
If any of your are interested in how I made the Lathe Front control Panel or the Hall Effect magnet mounts in my VFD conversion... I just posted a bit about a backer board that I made for my PM940M-CMC. In this posting I included photos of the making both.

Dave

Thanks Cletus!
With the addition of the spindle counter circuity I should probably update the files for this VFD conversion one of these days. First I must make a new front panel plate to hold the extra counter display! In the counter design addon I have a switch that allows me to also count the spindle rotations after the proximity sensor has been tripped i.e while the ebrake is doing its thing. That is, it will allow me to determine how many spindle turns occur after the ebrake is applied. Hence, I hope to determine exactly how far out a proximity detector needs to sense in order to know where to position it so that one can turn threads right up to the point where the tool might be very close to the spindle etc without hitting.

Dave

Ok. Here is what I measured, so far, for the TPI and then the mm/turn for my PM1440GT. This also displays the lever positions not listed on the PM manual or front of the lathe for available TPI. Note I use my Hall effect spindle counter, which makes 10 counts per revolution (10 magnets), to count the number of turns over a 10 inch travel distance. So the numbers should be pretty good....assuming

Back