VFD Keypad Question

projectnut

Registered
Registered
As many of you know I picked up a Baileigh cold saw earlier this year. The saw is running fine, but there's one issue I'd like to address in the near future. The saw is powered with a Delta E series VFD. It has a keypad that is remote from the unit and resides in the operator control station. The display is dim, and the potentiometer knob is missing. The potentiometer can still be adjusted using a small screwdriver in a slot where the knob was mounted.

While the saw is running fine, I'd like to replace the keypad. It would make it much easier to read the blade speed. A new one is on order for a whole $22.00. However, I literally know nothing about programming these things so my question is: Can I just replace the keypad with a new one without it affecting the current program? If not do I have to program the VFD from scratch?

Here's a link to the drive in the machine.

Here's a link to the remote keypad:

As many of you know I picked up a Baileigh cold saw earlier this year. The saw is running fine, but there's one issue I'd like to address in the near future. The saw is powered with a Delta E series VFD. It has a keypad that is remote from the unit and resides in the operator control station. The display is dim, and the potentiometer knob is missing. The potentiometer can still be adjusted using a small screwdriver in a slot where the knob was mounted.

While the saw is running fine, I'd like to replace the keypad. It would make it much easier to read the blade speed. A new one is on order for a whole $22.00. However, I literally know nothing about programming these things so my question is: Can I just replace the keypad with a new one without it affecting the current program? If not do I have to program the VFD from scratch?

Here's a link to the drive in the machine.

Here's a link to the remote keypad:
You can replace just the keypad, the programming resides in non-volatile memory.
That is a good price on the replacement keypad by the way

Re-iterating what @TorontoBuilder builder has already said, yes, you can swap the keypad without effecting the parameters. I have done just that, I have one keypad, and at one point had three machines with Delta E-VFDs. No problem moving that keypad around.

You can replace just the keypad, the programming resides in non-volatile memory.
That is a good price on the replacement keypad by the way
It seems the price was more of a scam than what they actually wanted to sell it for. Not only that the item that was "IN STOCK" now suddenly has gone missing and the new delivery date from that company will be "sometime in July". I've now tried 2 different vendors that said the item was in stock only to have the delivery date pass and find out none have been in stock for months, no orders are planned until after the first of the year, and the soonest delivery date is either June or July. Fortunately, the old one still works. The problem in the adjustment knob is missing, but it can still be adjusted using a screwdriver.

You can find them on eBay US vendors for around $50 or buy one from China for for under $25. Since they are made in China, if you do not mind the shipping time, that is what I would recommend. The panels are made to be also be remotely placed, there is no functional changes to the VFD if they are replaced. I have had many issues with Wolf Automation as to stock, in some cases 90% of there listings are not in stock, so you need to check with them in advance. There is also significant supply chain issues.

It seems the price was more of a scam than what they actually wanted to sell it for. Not only that the item that was "IN STOCK" now suddenly has gone missing and the new delivery date from that company will be "sometime in July". I've now tried 2 different vendors that said the item was in stock only to have the delivery date pass and find out none have been in stock for months, no orders are planned until after the first of the year, and the soonest delivery date is either June or July. Fortunately, the old one still works. The problem in the adjustment knob is missing, but it can still be adjusted using a screwdriver.
I really dislike certain vendors.

I suggest aliexpress. They have the closest to the originals. They're $20 CAD shipped. Just wait.

Why not pry the cover off the keypad and bypass the potentiometer for full brightness?

Why not pry the cover off the keypad and bypass the potentiometer for full brightness?
One of us is confused, but I believe the potentiometer is for speed (frequency) , not display brightness.

Back