VFD problems.

I guess that standard setting is 25HZ per second???.....So if I wanted the rising velocity to go up faster, I would change to 50 HZ/S ?

I bet there are books written on the VFD things. Don't suppose anyone can suggest a good article on the subject?
Yeah 50/s would take it to full speed in about a second, the ramp up(soft start ?) is supposed to be good for saving power and not jarring the machine/motor very hard. Other settings like minimum frequency might affect the startup time.

All the VFD's do basically the same thing, some have more bells and whistles , the basic set up is most about knowing what you want to do and finding the name for the setting withe the brand you have to achieve that.

Lots of people use them in home shop situations so you will normally get answers on any question you ask about them.

Stu

Wow guess I got lucky on the 2 HP Arboga I bought the 5 HP Vevor-looks identical/ same instructions to the Op's and have it wired through the 2 speed switch and the machines on / off. Silky smooth so far, Time will tell.
I Only switch the 2 motor speeds windings while the motor is at rest but VFD on and then use the display controls. Again Time will tell, hoping it won't let out the smoke .
Interesting thing is...mine never smoked! I took it apart and saw no evidence of smoke. It just quit working.

Yeah 50/s would take it to full speed in about a second, the ramp up(soft start ?) is supposed to be good for saving power and not jarring the machine/motor very hard. Other settings like minimum frequency might affect the startup time.

All the VFD's do basically the same thing, some have more bells and whistles , the basic set up is most about knowing what you want to do and finding the name for the setting withe the brand you have to achieve that.

Lots of people use them in home shop situations so you will normally get answers on any question you ask about them.

Stu
Thanks. Really appreciate the help.

The other thing is that with the cheap VFDs, you ARE the quality control department. They obviously save money on the build by not doing a serious burn-in. So, you might get a unit that has a solder bridge or be missing a component, and it burns itself up almost immediately. The next unit off the line is perfect, and will last you until you sell the machine.
The calculus then comes down to how many of the cheap ones before I could have afforded the expensive one, and do I really want the hassle when the gamble doesn't pay off? If you're trying to make a living, machine downtime cost way more than any VFD. . . and. . . you're quite possibly paying someone else to install/troubleshoot/etc. For us hobbyist, the math isn't nearly as clean cut, and the decision relies more on what we want to be doing.

Wow guess I got lucky on the 2 HP Arboga I bought the 5 HP Vevor-looks identical/ same instructions to the Op's and have it wired through the 2 speed switch and the machines on / off. Silky smooth so far, Time will tell.
I Only switch the 2 motor speeds windings while the motor is at rest but VFD on and then use the display controls. Again Time will tell, hoping it won't let out the smoke .
I have commissioned 2 other of these drives without any issues except one kept losing the new settings and I had to redo a few times. They are all still working, but not mine.
After a few "put it where the sun don't shine" emails, Vevor is going to send me another one, they said.

Why not buy a VFD form Automation Direct where for $200 you get a quality product with documentation and support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Why not buy a VFD form Automation Direct where for $200 you get a quality product with documentation and support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I checked them out....more like 4 to 600 for one of over 3HP, which is what i need. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I checked them out....more like 4 to 600 for one of over 3HP, which is what i need. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Sorry I failed to appreciate the HP specs. I mostly travel in the 1-2HP space; just last week I got a 2HP AD VFD for about $210 IIRC. Neat stuff with great documentation.

Sorry I failed to appreciate the HP specs. I mostly travel in the 1-2HP space; just last week I got a 2HP AD VFD for about $210 IIRC. Neat stuff with great documentation.
Unfortunately, when one gets in to the big-league equipment, things cost more. But what the heck, I am 65 and not going to live forever! I( never thought I would ever be able to afford nice equipment but finally I can. BTW a 2 HP unit at 210 is a smoking deal!

Back