VFD Question

Thanks mksj,

I will try to think through/digest your description later. It is a bit late to night and the brain is shutting down. I have already purchased the Hitachi WJ200 so will try to make it work.

I live Pittsburgh, PA and am only a few miles from PM/QMT. Hence, Matt and his guys were good to me (they are always a big help!) and allowed me to come out to the PM Shop and work on the lathe prior to the delivery. After considerable measurements and even more effort to design and built, I came up with a robust custom caster attachment for the lathe and then installed the wheels on my 1440GT while at PM. I needed these wheels just to shoe horn the lathe into my small metal shop area in my basement. Anyway, because I spent this time and effort I can take the lathe back up off the leveling feet any time I need to do so and roll the lathe away from the wall to work on the electronics etc. Currently, I moved smaller equipment out of the room to clear the way and so it is rolled out a few feet from the wall. But after I get the VFD install done I will move it back and then re-level it on the feet (I.e. it will only be on the wheels when I need to move it out.) I also have a PM 940M CNC in that room and it too can be let down on its casters when not being operated.

Thanks again,
Dave

Attachments

• IMAG2250.jpg
    IMAG2250.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 22
Does using a dc choke on the single phase input also reduce the input current harmonic content?

Thanks

Yes, and decreases the input fusing requirements. One of the parameters for overload is THD, which is reduced using a DC choke and decreases the stress on the buss capacitors.

Back