VFD questions as promised .

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So two years ago I bought this POS off the bay . Reason being , to get each machine running off of it to sell the machines in running condition . I know my lathe and BP is wired high voltage 440 , the SG is low voltage 220 ? If I rewire the 440 motors to low voltage , how would I hook this up on a temporary basis ? I ran a 15 HP RPC in my shop down the other house which I thought was pretty basic hookups , but all these different parameters has my brain fried . I was and am still interested in a 10 HP RPC from one of our members down south if we can hook up , but in the meantime .......................................what do I have ? :dunno:

Attachments

• IMG_8833.JPG
    IMG_8833.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8834.JPG
    IMG_8834.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8835.JPG
    IMG_8835.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 22
Looks like it is 3P 220V output?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok? Sounds like you know what you have then! Mystery solved? Maybe? what am I missing here?

Wiring it up to the machines and breaker box . I think the VFD goes directly to the machine motor . As far as the parameters , :dunno: I'll keep reading here , I have a 20 amp single P 220 outlet hooked up for the little ShopFox lathe years ago . Is it enough ? Where's our electricians ? :laughing:

It says the output is only 8 Amps so unless it is very inefficient, your 20 Amp circuit should work just fine. Now weather it will power up your equipment or not is another question.

Yes , I'll have questions when I finally get around to hooking this thing up . One big one is , the breaker box to the VFD . Do I need a quick disconnect box or not ? I had one on the RFC but don't know if it is needed with the VFD .

Yes , I'll have questions when I finally get around to hooking this thing up . One big one is , the breaker box to the VFD . Do I need a quick disconnect box or not ? I had one on the RFC but don't know if it is needed with the VFD .

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a disconnect nearby if your breaker box is far away. But yes you should have some circuit protection obviously.

I was looking at a newer VFD for similar sized motor on your rating label at those voltages. 20A should cover it.

And of course outputs direct to motor. No wiring diagram in the manual in your photo?

If you already have a 220 volt outlet then you can just plug it in AFAIK
A shutoff switch is nice but not essential
-Mark
Be prepared to fiddle with settings till your eyes bug out :)

Back