Vintage watchmakers lathes?

Mike, you can disagree and you can pound on the drums. If anyone thinks a constructed anodized aluminum with plastic gibs machine is the best micro machine on the market, then so be it...Dave

I know you have a Levin and a Sherline isn't even in the same league in terms of build quality. If you had just said the best micro-lathe made is a Swiss-made Levin (and left Emco and Sherline out of it) then you would have had no argument from me.

My response was elicited because you chose to comment on the capabilities of lathes that I suspect you have never used or even seen, and this is not the first time you've done this; it's a recurring theme with you. On the other hand, a lot of machinists think the same way (with the same absence of experience upon which to base comments), which is why I usually try to step up and correct them.

Before he passed away, I had the honor of communicating with WR Smith. He was an extremely highly regarded horologist that I happened to learn a lot from and a gentleman I came to admire. Much of the work he did as a Master Clockmaker and Master Watchmaker were done on Sherline machines. I guess he didn't realize they were junk or that they couldn't micro-machine parts.

I know you have a Levin and a Sherline isn't even in the same league in terms of build quality. If you had just said the best micro-lathe made is a Swiss-made Levin (and left Emco and Sherline out of it) then you would have had no argument from me.

My response was elicited because you chose to comment on the capabilities of lathes that I suspect you have never used or even seen, and this is not the first time you've done this; it's a recurring theme with you. On the other hand, a lot of machinists think the same way (with the same absence of experience upon which to base comments), which is why I usually try to step up and correct them.

Before he passed away, I had the honor of communicating with WR Smith. He was an extremely highly regarded horologist that I happened to learn a lot from and a gentleman I came to admire. Much of the work he did as a Master Clockmaker and Master Watchmaker were done on Sherline machines. I guess he didn't realize they were junk or that they couldn't micro-machine parts.
Sorry again Mike, please do not second guess my inventory or my many many decades of micro machining experience. Your comments about my background and what I have are totally inaccurate…Dave

Surely a Levin is better, but $12,000 vs $600 it better be.
I would not pay that (new) Levin price either. Where did that example come from? I ask, because it’s not really comparing apples to apples. The Sherline has a motor for that price. The Levin does not. The price is more if you want a motor & controller with the lathe.

Last edited:
Sorry again Mike, please do not second guess my inventory or my many many decades of micro machining experience. Your comments about my background and what I have are totally inaccurate…Dave

Okay, Dave, I'll just end my comments with this. Your condescension regarding Sherline machines is well known, is getting really old and does not belong here. Your opinions, your experiences and your expertise are more than welcome but putting another brand or type of machine down, no, that is not going to fly.

Please stop.

I don't know if we have any watchmaker / clockmakers on the forum, but I have a question if we do.

I'm curious about vintage watchmakers lathes. I recently got a book on small lathes and the various watchmakers lathes are covered in some detail, but the book was originally published in the 1950s when there were not many small lathes suitable for watchmaking other than these watchmakers lathes.

I see them on ebay selling for a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. I am assuming at least the higher end are collectors, old, often Swiss or German, built like a Swiss watch... yeah, I can imagine there is a collectors market for some of these.

I'm curious about the practical application, are these still the preferred choice for making parts for clocks and watches, or are they more in the realm of tradition, like photographers who use actual film, or glass plates?

There are many modern small lathes these days which can be set up to use watchmakers collets. I'm assuming these vintage lathes are no match for a $12,000 Levin but what about a Taig, Sherline or 7x Chinese lathe set up for watchmaking? I know Sherline has its fans among watchmakers, but I don't follow the other two closely enough to know how much they are used.

There was a Mr Pete video where he goes to the shop of a friend who restores old clocks. He is set up with a Sherline lathe and mill, which appear to be his primary machines but he also had a couple of vintage watchmakers lathes set up. They didn't go into the why's of his tool selection, so don't know if they were set up for specific functions, used for the most precise work or if the vintage lathes had sentimental attachment so he still uses them.
You might find this site informative: https://www.historictimekeepers.com/tools_of_the_trade.htm .

Thank you, since I posted this I've read a couple of books and watched a lot of watch/ clock making videos but I haven't run across this particular site.

I find it interesting the number of different machines as well as the variety in brands used in shops used for business or a really dedicated hobbyist. In this last one you see a variety of high precision Swiss and German machines, but also a small Sherline mill and what looks like a different brand of the small knee mill sold by Grizzly and Harbor Freight.
In a commercial shop I can see the utility of having multiple watchmakers lathes set up for specific processes. They are small and not having to change set ups would save time.

Thank you, since I posted this I've read a couple of books and watched a lot of watch/ clock making videos but I haven't run across this particular site.

I find it interesting the number of different machines as well as the variety in brands used in shops used for business or a really dedicated hobbyist. In this last one you see a variety of high precision Swiss and German machines, but also a small Sherline mill and what looks like a different brand of the small knee mill sold by Grizzly and Harbor Freight.
In a commercial shop I can see the utility of having multiple watchmakers lathes set up for specific processes. They are small and not having to change set ups would save time.
I find it interesting that he has a stereo microscope at almost every work station. ' What we see depends mainly on what we look for'

I have a Derbyshire Magnus 10mm lathe and I use it to make screws, nuts , finials for the clocks I restore as a hobby because most clocks I buy have bits missing mainly torsion clocks but I also have a few French clocks, English & German Westminster chime clocks about 30 clocks in all.
Dell

Have a look for clock repairs there’s lots of them.

Back