Vintage watchmakers lathes?

Hi all
I am in the UK and over here the go to lathe for clockmaker is either the Cowells 90ME or the 90CW I am into torsion clocks I have just purchased a 90ME very expensive but as they say you get what you pay for.

have just purchased a 90ME very expensive but as they say you get what you pay for.

I'd like to see some pictures of that lathe, if you get the chance!
Thanks,
-brino

I've heard a lot of love for Schaublin and Rivett from the watchmakers. I've seen several Schaublins and one clean Rivett on Craigslist this year. I have to avoid fine detail work due to my frayed nerves, but I'd love to see some feinwerk up on this site!

If you want to listen to some discussion on watchmaking size equipment, give the Home Shop Machinist Podcast a whirl. Stefan Goetteswinter is a frequent guest on their show.

Micro machining is in a different world and can only be said as similar to the conventional machinist trade. If you want to start micro machining …FINESSE… is probably most important. Then the type of machines you have and the knowledge you have to operate them. A basic watchmaker lathe is one price. But the needed accessories will be the kicker. And I know I’m not on the same page as some, SORRY. But a Unimat, Sherline and the like are OK for some small parts but for the serious micro machining I would go with something more refined.

There are quite a large number of Sherline users that would disagree with you on this. Heck, I disagree with you. Ever heard of the late WR Smith, the horologist? He used Sherline tools exclusively. Go to the Sherline Workshop and look at the number of watch makers and model makers who have projects on display. In the realm of micro-machining, it is largely the tools and the ability to see what you're doing that make the difference between what is possible and what is not.

Mike, you can disagree and you can pound on the drums. If anyone thinks a constructed anodized aluminum with plastic gibs machine is the best micro machine on the market, then so be it...Dave

Mike, you can disagree and you can pound on the drums. If anyone thinks a constructed anodized aluminum with plastic gibs machine is the best micro machine on the market, then so be it...Dave

Surely a Levin is better, but $12,000 vs $600 it better be.

I have a Levin watchmakers lathe, with crossslide, collet holding tailstock, and several chucks. I am thinking to sell it. It is a good little watchmakers lathe but I seldom use it. It is no more accurate and far less capable than the Sherline lathe I use most of the time.

Back