Vise destruction test

He did mention he was only testing vises that were currently available.
The earlier test he included a vintage Prentiss and his Starrett was on the table in the background...that was what I was referencing. Even if Starrett was still selling vises I'll bet he wouldn't break his...I sure wouldn't!

The earlier test he included a vintage Prentiss and his Starrett was on the table in the background...that was what I was referencing. Even if Starrett was still selling vises I'll bet he wouldn't break his...I sure wouldn't!
I didn't see the earlier video! Sad about the Prentiss, I'm 2 days in on repairing a 5 incher.

I thoroughly enjoyed his first test (10 vises, from cheap to good). I don't think he meant for a minute to simulate actual vise use - except in the sense of finding where the weak points were in an accelerated fashion as opposed to using each one for 15-100 years... I thought it provided a lot of food for thought, particularly if you were designing or repairing your own. I've certainly seen plenty of vises (including some pretty nice ones) that were broken **somehow** - so it's not like they don't have weaknesses. Of course his real motivation is to showcase the superiority of his vise design (in the first test it was a welded-up predecessor to his 'hard tail' vise).

I haven't watched this newer video yet, but look forward to it.

GsT

I understand why he is moving all his videos to his site rather than Youtube etc but man.... Sure throws a crimp in watching these videos in bed where I have to have an "App" to watch something.. Ahh well I saw the teaser on youtube, I'll get in front of a PC at some point to watch it.

Back