Vise install on vertical mill table

Kind of like a mini rotary table. Looking to hold round pcs inline with the spindle.
Well, if you can move the milling table up and down, and the lathe cross slide left and right, than you should be able to center the work if you can do that within the lengths of travel available.

Right now I clamp a pc of round bar 10" long in a tool holder for my QCTP and shim it to the off set I need and then drill the end of round bar with lathe and rotate part in tool holder. But I would like to be able to raise and lower as shimming has its limitations and the tool holder maxs out at 1/2" in thickness.
Many thanks for the help!!

If you get the vise working, you can use a collet block mounted in the vise to hold your work. Collet blocks are offered for 5C and for ER collets.
You would have a quick change between collet chuck and vise.

After much eBay lookin' and head scratchin' I decided to go with a sacrificial plate workholding solution for my lathe milling attachment. Finding something that seemed like it would work within the budget I had was almost impossible, at some point I may make a vise for it but for now I've moved onto my next tool building project....

lathe_milling.jpg

Cheers,

John

Very interesting the collet blocks, I never knew, Thanks!!
Collet blocks are useful for lots of things, and fairly inexpensive. I have a dividing head, a rotary table, and various other work holding tooling, but the go to ones are the collet blocks for the vast majority of that work. They are inexpensive, easy and quick to set up, and quick to index to the next face. They are definitely the first tooling a hobby machinist should get for holding bar stock 1" and less in size. In 5C collets, there is also available collets for square stock, and more. I think ER collets are also now available for square stock as well, but I have not seen one yet.

I made the 4 T spacers and have to take a break to buy a .80 metric tap. Off to the home depot....

I really like the collet blocks and even saw a video of an idexable one for 5 and 30 degrees that was home made, exciting stuff. You guys have been holding out on me, what else is there I should know about?...lol

Never new machining was so fun and interesting till I purchased a metal lathe last year.

Thanks a ton for helping this newbie out!!

Attachments

• IMG_6199.JPG
    IMG_6199.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6202.JPG
    IMG_6202.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6206.JPG
    IMG_6206.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 17
In picture 6199 notice the depth of the slot on the milling slide is not consistent from the middle to the top slots. So I made one set with a longer nipple.
Then the mounting holes on the vise did not center with my slide so the bottom set of T spacers were made with smaller diameter nipples and the large outside diameter turned down slightly.

Love my lathe and being able to make stuff custom fit as it never fits when I buy it..haha

Alright got it all done up and mounted to my lathe.

Took a few pictures of how I think I may be able to hold the round bar. Please feel free to suggest the proper way.

I used to mount it in a tool holder but the amount of travel was minimal for height adjustments and bar size. If only I could rotate the vertical slide 90 it would be a snap.

I really hope its sturdy enough and holds well enough to do some slow small milling cuts with the lathe.

Please feel free to leave tips tricks things you have done or would not due with this type of thing. My end mills have not shown up yet so still time to learn more....learn 3x's machine once.o_O

Attachments

• IMG_6208.JPG
    IMG_6208.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6214.JPG
    IMG_6214.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6215.JPG
    IMG_6215.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6216.JPG
    IMG_6216.JPG