Vise size - 4" or 6"

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I need a vise for my new mill. I see that most parallel sets come in 6" lengths so that seems to signal that a 6" vise is the norm. Or am I wrong?

A 6" will be huge on that mill. I've got a 3" and it is just a little small. I am looking at a 5" Kurt and it looks like the Goldilocks vise to me. But a 4" might be OK too. I don't do a lot of big work where I would run out of jaw space. Only looking to replace the 3" because it is not really accurate or rigid.

This is the 6" Kurt, and the 4" Glacern that I bought 2 of. There may be a sale going on for them, I think I saw someone post that.

Jeepers, that 6" Kurt is enormous!
I think that a 4" or 5" will be the way to go. Decisions, decisions!

At the risk of completely exposing my ignorance here how does a person deal with parallels that are 6" long if the workpiece is say 5" long.
Let's say I want to square up both ends, do I just flip it end for end?
(I realize that I'm venturing into Beginners section territory here....)

I would go with a 4", it'll give you some room to move toward/away from the column. I have a mini mill and 3" is sometimes too small, 4" is almost a perfect size , sometimes it feels too long.

Poof! Decision made. Let the shopping begin! :D

Jeepers, that 6" Kurt is enormous!
I think that a 4" or 5" will be the way to go. Decisions, decisions!

At the risk of completely exposing my ignorance here how does a person deal with parallels that are 6" long if the workpiece is say 5" long.
Let's say I want to square up both ends, do I just flip it end for end?
(I realize that I'm venturing into Beginners section territory here....)
I just left them full length. Makes it easy to wiggle them to see if the work is in contact. They seem pretty hard, I don't think I would even want to cut them with anything but an abrasive tool. But really there is no need to cut them.

Back