VN Vn No 10 Mill On Ebay

I have cleaned up most of the cross feed mechanism and gears. I am currently working on the transfer spindle housing and would like to know if anyone has info on the type of seal used to keep the grease in? Looks like the groove on both ends that cap the bearings could have an o-ring for a seal.

IMG_1649.JPG IMG_1650.JPG IMG_1651.JPG IMG_1652.JPG IMG_1653.JPG IMG_1654.JPG

Are the groves cut in brass? It's probably a labyrinth mechanical seal. If it's not heavily worn, it should be OK. If it's worn, it will leak grease as it heats up. I have used thin O rings in there, but I don't know if they will cause more wear or not, but they will always have some lube on them.

Jason

Here is a photo of the groove for one side. Similar groove iron the other end plate. There is no way a modern rubber over metal frame seal will slip inside the groove. The material is aluminum for this end that threads on while the other end that bolts on I believe is steel (but can't remember off top of my head).

image.jpeg

Not sure, doesn't look like a labyrinth. Do you have a parts list for that machine?

Jason

To my knowledge there is no parts list and/or manual for the No 10 machine.

Last two weeks I have been preparing the surfaces to paint and finally laid one coat of paint on the parts.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Do these mills only feed the table in one direction? Can you feed the table left and right with the auto selector?

The machine is looking good with some sub assembly. Most of the base, knee, and table are done so I moved onto the head tonight. Opened up the transmission and found little oil, slime, and a rag! Should have the housing cleaned and primed by the end of tomorrow.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back