W. P. Davis Lathe

should i work my way backwards with pulleys from a max. spindle speed of around 500 rpm to a max. shaft speed of 1750 rpm of the motor.
then use the vfd to decrease rpm of the motor to decrease spindle speed ?
and of course the back gears can come into play for even slower speed.
I would think that lathe should be able to handle at least 1000 rpm.

The older South Bend "How To Run A Lathe" #27 has some information you might find interesting. You can download it from the Vintage Machinery web site link below. Starting about page 7 it has some line shaft stuff. On page 11 it lists counter shaft speeds for different size lathes, all are less that 300 RPM.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/5795.pdf

Yes I would work my way backwards from your desired maximum spindle speed.

Bob & Rich; thanks for the info now its time for math.
heres my thoughts.... 290 rpm at the line shaft big pulley( found on page 11 thanks Rich) which is 6.625" dia. driving small pulley on the spindle which is 3.250" dia. = 591 max. rpm of the lathe.
i used an animated pulley calculator i found on bricklayer.com to come to this max. rpm number.
guess we could call it a 600 rpm lathe then.
more to come once i figure pulley size off a 1750 rpm motor to line shaft.
Dan

Bob & Rich; thanks for the info now its time for math.
heres my thoughts.... 290 rpm at the line shaft big pulley( found on page 11 thanks Rich) which is 6.625" dia. driving small pulley on the spindle which is 3.250" dia. = 591 max. rpm of the lathe.
i used an animated pulley calculator i found on bricklayer.com to come to this max. rpm number.
guess we could call it a 600 rpm lathe then.
more to come once i figure pulley size off a 1750 rpm motor to line shaft.
Dan

I would think that lathe should be able to handle at least 1000 rpm.

I think Bob is right on the higher speed capability. If it's your only lathe you will find the extra speed very useful. If you think about how fast an automotive engine turns on similar and smaller bearings you get the idea. 1000rpm is just off idle. Mike

heres a few photos of some of the tooling i am getting cleaned and fitted to the lathe.
an Almond #10 drill chuck which came with a n0.3 morse taper.
i turned it down to a no.2. to fit the tailstock.
the 3 jaw chuck is a Skinner 8" no.606 with reversible jaws.
it is a scroll chuck but when i loosen and reposition the small knob in the back it becomes an independent jaw chuck !
happy new year.
Dan

P1010677.JPG

P1010678.JPG

P1010679.JPG

the 3 jaw chuck is a Skinner 8" no.606 with reversible jaws.
it is a scroll chuck but when i loosen and reposition the small knob in the back it becomes an independent jaw chuck !

Hi Dan,
Thanks for posting that. I have never seen a combo scroll/independent chuck!
-brino

Thanks for that bit of info. I'd been wondering about that same piece on my newly acquired Sebastian & May lathe. Haven't had time to play with it yet. One more small piece of the puzzle falls into place. Cheers, Mike
P1010056.jpg

i am not quite ready to pulling the trigger on the vfd-motor combo but in the meantime i am tooling up and have some photos of the latest that i have done.
here's two simple shelves i built last night from scrap mahogany decking and alum. angle.
it didn't take long to fill them with some tooling i picked to use that came along with the lathe.
the Almond chuck was missing its key so after some basic research i decided to take a chance and ordered a K4 Jacobs chuck which has a 3/8" pilot.
the Almond chuck has a 5/16" pilot hole which a Jacobs #3 key pilot fits but the gears don't mesh.
the photos complete the story.
Dan

P1010685.JPG

P1010680.JPG

P1010682.JPG

P1010683.JPG

P1010684.JPG

Last edited:
the Davis is now a working lathe.
i decided to just go with the counter shaft and a 1hp motor i had here in the shop, the vfd may come later.
heres a few photos i took of the counter shaft assembly with motor and belting.
also a photo of the shaft just after cutting the key ways.
i also flattened the compound top surface .
there is a new chinese four jaw a friend gave me to fit to my Myford but it is a better fit size wise to the Davis me thinks !
the four jaw was immediately put to use to hold a connecting rod to a Stuart #1 i am building.
i started machining the con rod with a lantern post tool holder but switched to the turret tool holder .
fiddling with the lantern was a PITA, i am a newby and i am willing to learn the tough stuff but i have my limits, shish!
Dan

P1010694.JPG

P1010695.JPG

P1010696.JPG

P1010690.JPG

P1010692.JPG

P1010698.JPG

P1010699.JPG

P1010702.JPG

P1010703.JPG

Back