War Time South Bend Lathe

Thanks for your encouragement, fellas... :)

I managed to get most of the apron apart with little effort, including the dreaded taper pins, but now I am stuck on one part, the right hand worm collar. It took lots of heat and penetrating oil to get the left one off, but now that I have lost the leverage of having both collars to work against each other, I am fighting to get the right one off.

IMG_0456%20800x600_zpshq0fxz1b.jpg

I continue to work on it daily, with heat and penetrating oil. We shall see. In the meantime, I am working on painting and cleaning other parts ahead of time. Even the simplest of parts have their inherent problems, due to the "outdoor" neglect that this lathe has seen, like the cone pulley cover. One of the adjusting screws had been hack sawed off and welded to the nut, and the other one looked like it came from the bottom of the ocean, and would not budge out of the nut, so I ended up making two new ones.

IMG_0455%20800x600_zpsulauezv7.jpg

IMG_0453%20800x600_zpsls2j4ezj.jpg

I just used some "allthread" that I had and turned and faced a couple of nuts to thin them to resemble the originals. They aren't as wide as the originals, but the location of these is all but hidden from view. Now I can set the cone pulley cover side to side for a nice and even gap to the other guards. Not a big job, but it just goes to show you just how very difficult this lathe is to work on. Next, I have to make a cone pulley cover knob, where mine was just an old bolt.

Thanks for looking in... :)

Brian

Brian the way you present your restoration projects is fantastic as other have said I just want to echo that.Your pics and description is/will serve as a learning tool for future DIY'ers who want to do a preservation project on a lathe.Well done sir,thanks for posting

Thanks, Caroll :)

You are too kind...

I am still at the same point with the apron, so I decided to have a change of scenery and did some cleaning and painting of other parts. Also, the cone pulley cover had the knob missing and there was an old bolt in it's place. So, I searched around and finally got some information as to what it should look like. It is more of a round knob at the end of a post.

So, I put a piece of suitable stock in my collet chuck, turned down the post, then the threaded section, and used a die to form the threads.

IMG_0474%20800x600_zps7nsv5jz3.jpg

I then parted it off to length, and used the same stock to make a fixture to hold the part, by facing, center drilling, drilling and tapping. Then I cut out a half circle, 7/8" to use as a guide, and started to whittle it away until I thought that it was close.

IMG_0475%20800x600_zpstqxmkcwc.jpg

IMG_0479%20800x600_zpsif1lhotz.jpg

I then filed, sanded, polished it, and installed it onto the cone pulley cover.

IMG_0481%20800x600_zpsjinzn071.jpg

IMG_0482%20800x600_zpsgd5xec5f.jpg

I didn't get the knob as round as I had hoped, but it is much better than the old bolt, and feels good on the fingers.

Brian

I like that better than a round knob! LoL Looks great on your machine too!

Good job,
Ted

Thanks, Ted :)

Well, I finally managed to get the second worm collar off and the worm and bearing out of the apron. It was a struggle... I then pressed out the clutch shaft from the worm gear...

IMG_0483%20800x600_zpsm9zaeswl.jpg

Now, I finally have the bare casting to clean and paint...

IMG_0486%20800x600_zps5pjf5nln.jpg

Another hurdle overcome and some progress. The next hurdle will be the quick change gear box.

Brian :)

Awesome lathe! 1942 serial numbers were from 127793 to 137909....

That is neat,better than factory but still looks original.Nice job---kroll

Back