• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Water Proof Shaft Seal

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

lellasone

Swarf
Registered
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has some good resources (or thoughts) on how to seal a small spinning shaft. My current thought is to try to make a small stuffing box with an 1/8" layer of grease between two sealed ball bearings, but since I've never done anything like this I figured I'd reach out and see if that's reasonable.

All the best,
Jake

lellasone

Swarf
Registered
Can't believe I forgot to say what I was sealing against, in this case water. Less than a meter deep, but it's got to run submerged.

Thanks for the replies. It didn't even occur to me to check Micmaster, but of course they have something for exactly this.

I'll take a look at that PDF.

extropic

Active User
Former Member
What horse power is involved? More precisely, how much friction can you handle from the seal?
Shaft diameter?
RPM?

magicniner

Registered
Registered
Mechanical Seal.
It's what they use on automotive water pumps, commonly a Viton seal running against a ceramic surface.

hermetic

Active User
Registered
the best water pump seals are usually carbon face seals. Most commercial water pump use them

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has some good resources (or thoughts) on how to seal a small spinning shaft. My current thought is to try to make a small stuffing box with an 1/8" layer of grease between two sealed ball bearings, but since I've never done anything like this I figured I'd reach out and see if that's reasonable.

All the best,
Jake
For a proper response we need to know more about the application, shaft size, rpm, hp, salt water/ fresh water,depth of water or head, duty cycle,

tq60

Registered
Registered
If running underwater the seal can be of many options that are dependent on rpm and pressure...but forget about the seal for a moment.

Material selection more important now as different materials act differently dependent on chemistry.

Once all of the materials are determined next is fit and bearings as the shaft needs to run true and not have much end play.

Last then is determining what style of seal that will meet the rpm needs and fit in the part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

David S

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I am not sure what you are trying to make / do, however you could buy one of the very inexpensive small submersible boat bilge pumps and see what they do.

David

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I am not sure what you are trying to make / do, however you could buy one of the very inexpensive small submersible boat bilge pumps and see what they do.

David
Some of these small pumps use a magnetic drive so there is no shaft to seal, not sure if that's option this case.

Cobra

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
All of the bilge pumps for small boats I have seen sit in the bilge with a float switch and pump to an outlet above the water line.

Shootymacshootface

Registered
Registered
Outboard motors use 2 oil seals installed back to back , one to keep oil in and one to keep water out. It is simple cheap and it works.

epanzella

Active User
Registered
Just look up the prop shaft seals on outboard engines. They're cheap and are designed to do just what you're doing.

Downwindtracker2

Active User
Registered
On my old small blue band Mercs, they are single seals but of a deeper ,more robust construction. I thought of using commonly available ones but went with the proper ones.

[6]
[5] [7]