Ways to measure holes center to center?

It looks like pitting from corrosion, which will affect accuracy. Send it back, and have the seller pay for return shipping.
If you don't hear back from the seller, contact Ebay with photos. They will honor the money back guarantee. I've never had a problem
even when the seller has a No return policy. Before an Ebay purchase, I always contact the seller to see if they respond. No response is a bad sign.

It looks like pitting from corrosion, which will affect accuracy. Send it back, and have the seller pay for return shipping.
If you don't hear back from the seller, contact Ebay with photos. They will honor the money back guarantee. I've never had a problem
even when the seller has a No return policy. Before an Ebay purchase, I always contact the seller to see if they respond. No response is a bad sign.
Agree 100%.

Many ebay sellers take this rustied up stuff clean it up thinking they are doing a buyer a good deed by doing so. Most of them have no clue what a precision measuring instrument is. Most, it's not their fault for not knowing, they just don't know, but for the many that do, shame on them!

Maybe you can make a deal to keep it for less? Ask for a fair partial refund and keep it for parts?
e.g. The smaller tips on the ends are usually missing from these Mikes. Some sellers will give you a partial refund just to avoid
paying the return shipping cost. This is only if there are good parts left. Something to consider.

The last 5-6 yrs I've noticed a change in eBay as more what I would call junk dealers have been pushing stuff. I feel like it's harder and harder to get even a fair deal much less the good deals of the past. There is some of that "don't know" but increasingly it's hard to tell if they are just scamming. It is good that there is recourse through eBay and nobody wants a negative but sometimes it time consuming to get this stuff squared away. Good luck.

I wouldn't want it in that rusted condition.

I wouldn't either. But if any parts are salvageable, then why not keep what is good for a few dollars.
The tips, sliding parts and knurled screws may be worth keeping? I don't know. I don't have it in front of me.
Just an idea.

I entered a return on Fleabay and its going back. The seller tried to claim he didn't know it was frozen. Somebody sure put a lot of work into polishing the crud and rust off the exposed surfaces. I hate it that Ebay has made it so its "ok if the seller owns up when they get caught."

Ebay doesn't care about bad deals. as long as they get their cut, but they will be fair, especially to buyers that spend a lot of money. Ebay makes money all from every angle, including postage and the high selling fees make it harder and harder to get a good deal. I study the listings, do some research and contact the seller first. Ask questions before buying. It's all on the record. I also tend to buy from the same sellers. Your best defense is knowing the current price on an item and contacting the seller. Their response will say a lot. Glad you got it sorted out Bob. I knew you would.

I made a purchase on Ebay a few weeks ago. The tracking showed it was delivered, but it wasn't in my mail box! USPS does not deliver here on Sundays, I never received something in two days from 2500 mi. away, so something was wrong. Ebay refunded my money anyway. They took my word. Ebay said they did it as a courtesy. Awesome.

Bad back injury has really put a halt to any activity outside of sitting at a desk, but, I do want to keep this thread alive a little longer. I practiced using my Center Mike on the 10.9996" standard it came with. With several tries, All my measurements came up 11.000". 4/10th error. I measured my Van Norman no24 Arbor Support 'A'. Results with Center Mike are 9.175". I had previously measured the same support with pins, a parallel & dial caliper to read a distance of 9.166". I'll have to shrink down to a size that can also be measured with additional instruments in my small collection to chase down the error. Fun little project!

And I awoke this morning not even knowing such a thing as a 'Center Mike' existed.
Something else to add to the wish-list, and now I need to go back and read the other pages of this post to learn.

Back