we need a " show us your mistakes" machining thread

jumps4

Global Moderator
Registered
it could be very educational
i'd like to be edjumakaeted:))
steve

Wow, almost 2 years and nobody has made any mistakes! This group is good.

I thought I made one once, but I was wrong.

John

Well, I guess I will admit one. I made some gibs for a cam action mold once. Rough milled them, had them hardened, ground them to within .001 on the over all length only they were an inch short. Grabbed a 3" micrometer instead of a 4".

I thought I made one once, but I was wrong.

:roflmao:
Who says machinists can't be philosophers, too?
My most common mistake is to drill holes the same size they must be tapped.
Now I write on the pieces the sizes I've to drill with a sharpie: better dirty than sorry…

A "mistakes" thread? With the sheer volume of mistakes I've made, I am concerned about available bandwidth.:roflmao: Perhaps I'll wait til my memory becomes faded in my old age.

Tom

I guess I'm first (yay.......?) Yesterday, turning a wood bowl for mom, I was parting off the stub that was glued onto the back of the bowl to put it in the chuck so I could hollow it out. The bowl was held by friction getting pinched between the chuck jaws and tailstock, with some scotchbrite between the jaws and bowl for protection and grip, also I'm holding the bowl so it doesn't fall and break after parting.
photo (6).JPG

After I parted the piece the scotchbrite slipped out and the bowl (still spinning in my hand) got forced against the jaws of the still moving chuck.

photo bowl.JPG

It ended up being okay though, the bowl looks great after fixing the rim and adding a few coats of Danish "oil"

photo (7).JPG

photo (6).JPG photo bowl.JPG photo (7).JPG

I don't think they will have enough room here.
Oz
Pz:roflmao:

I don't think they will have enough room here.
Oz
Pz:roflmao:

Well if we eat up the 99 or 100 page limit (yes there is a limit) we'll have to start another thread!

But seriously, though. Watching and learning about others making mistakes makes us sometimes think "I might be doing this wrong, I saw this somewhere and it didn't end up good" and possibly avert a similar accident or mishap. I'm not kidding, if it helps a few people it will be worth it. Put hours into a project and messing it up really sucks, and maybe we can avoid some of those incidents.

Back