Weasel moves in to the new shop...

It wasn't long and I had a visual on the intruder, an ermine all white with a black tip on the tail.
I believe that is just their "winter coat". They change colour for camouflage with the season.

They are quick and viscous and apparently like my new shop environment all insulated with a big wood stove. It's 2800 square feet

2800 sq feet, I could live in there!
(.....and I am neither quick or viscous.)

he's actually doing a good thing by de-mousing
I say leave him to decimate the population, far less damage than the mice do.

.....but I believe @cathead has a pet bird too that joins him in the shop........ I don't believe those two would work out together.

-brino

I have a ferret, and he is the cutest and sweetest little guy ever, unless you are his list for a food source. We learned that the hard way. If you have any other pets, especially if it is a prey animal it will kill it. They are very smart and if they want something they do not give up until they find a way to get it.
I hope that little guy can stay and kill your mice. If not live trap him and find him a new home.
My little guy doesn't like peanut butter, but he loves sweets. You might want to try some maple syrup or a little piece of chocolate if you need to trap him. Post a pic if you get him!

When his job is finished there, and If and when you catch him send him this way. We've had a mole and mouse problem at our family cottage for almost 10 years. Neither get in the house, but the mice can easily take up residence in the garage. The moles on the other hand continually destroy the lawn.

The place has been in the family over 40 years and we haven't had these types of problems until the last 10 years or so. We could use a good mouser. I don't want to put out poison because of the resident dogs and foxes. I'd hate to have them find and eat a poisoned dead mouse. We had that happen to our first dog. She found a dead mouse in the field next door and eventually succumbed to the poison she ingested.

I'd set him up with a litter box and a house,, one lived under a big stump that was next to my fathers dock,, dad would set dead minnows there after returning from fishing. Weasel got to the stage when hearing the boat tying up he would "pop" up and wait on the stump for his treats..

Best trap I have found for gophers (and I assume moles too) is the metal Cinch trap and a little breakfast cereal as bait FYI
-M

We actually used to set mouse traps in our hunting shack/trailer home over the winter and throughout the spring, and empty them upon returning periodically. One time we could not find any traps at all [seemed odd since we ALWAYS set some before leaving]. My son looked under his bunk for a tripped trap, and found six of them [all empty] lined up under the bunk, next to a hole that had been chewed through the floor along a discharge pipe hole we had filled. Knew right away it was a weasel of some sort. No mice for over a year!

Unfortunately, after re-plugging the hole we lost our terminator and mice returned.:(

Remember this: "I hate those meeces to pieces!" Al

I had one in my shop 2 years ago, he would come and go through the shop floor drain, which was just stubbed out the wall. Had zero mice the whole time he was around. I could tell he wasn't afraid of me, and I think he understood I wasn't afraid of him, so we got along just fine. I referred to him as the Weasler. When I came home in the spring after spending the winter away. I found blood all over one corner of the shop. About a month latter I found the remains of a cotton tail behind some sheets of plywood. He appeared to have been Weaslered. Mike

Back