Webb/Takisawa TSL-800D, curious if there are other owners here

Oh, very cool, thanks! Curious what lathe he has there, as it looks very much like a TSL-series, but that knob at lower left doesn't look familiar. I'll watch the video and maybe I'll find out!

Hmm, the cross slide thread is 7/8-8 left hand Acme, ugh. It's available, but only in rather long lengths. I'll have to see what the price is; maybe we can go in together, buy 6-ft, and cut it into affordable pieces. If it's avoidable, I rather stick with the stock size so the nut doesn't have to be messed with. Anyone interested?

Last edited:
My cross slide is ok, fortunately. Possibly your nut is in need of help, if the screw thread is worn.

The reason I think it's worn threads is because mid-travel backlash is fine, but as I move towards either end, the cross slide handle becomes more and more stiff. A worn nut would not exhibit that.

Agree with not wanting to mess with the nuts. But because of the cost of the larger lead screw, the author used a smaller and cheaper lead screw thread and so had to make new nuts. Kind of a personalized trade-off, cost vs. trouble/time.

I'll find out what that 72" piece of the right size costs, and whether anyone's willing to share the expense.

Last edited:
Just to have it, you can count me in. I still need to square up with you for the ball oilers and discuss how the braking resistor worked out.

Mark

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Hi All

KB58:
I understand wanting to stay domestic, but to ask for free advice, get that free advice, and then say that it's not sufficient, is likely to be answered by, "okay, go find it yourself then." For next time, perhaps consider asking differently, "does anyone know where I can find some US-manufactured copper tubing?" Just a suggestion.

Good point, Crank - meant no disrespect.

Been busy with life, so have made little to no progress on rebuilding my lathe...

That said, 'way back' in post 45, I also found that I had some issues with my cross slide, and bought ~2ft of good Acme rod along with some new nuts to machine down. If / when I am done, I will likely have some left over, and I will post it up. My current issue with this, is I need to find a lathe to do the grafting and my SB is to small.

I have uploaded a bunch of pictures to: http://www.bethnrayndogs.com/Lathe/

Have not had time to organize or include into a proper catalogue

Ray

Last edited:
Dibs on the Acme rod, assuming enough is left after you're done with it. Where did you get it from? I've had no luck finding that odd size. (FWIW, I created a separate thread about the cross slide leadscrew replacement.

Guys, I just bought Takisawa TSL-1000, thought it's need to be delivered. I guess 1000 is the same as 800 just little longer.
Got it from eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113815661067?ul_noapp=true&autorefresh=trueI asked the seller about condition of the lathe and here is his response

The ways are in good condition showing only slight wear see photo attached. We replaced the cross slide screw with a new one & the nut was in good shape. Lead screw is in great condition and the half nut is in great condition as well. The carriage is in great condition and very smooth action over the bed ways and the cross slide is very smooth with about .005" or .006" backlash. It cuts well which is a good indicator that the spindle bearings are in good shape as well. I would not hesitate to put this machine into service but we simply don't need it. We have cleaned & tested it and it can be seen under power. It is 40 years old so it is not in new condition but in good operating condition & the appearance nice. We don't sell any substandard equipment here at Georgia Machine. If you are not satisfied you can return it at your expense and your purchase price will be returned once the machine is back to us.
Can not wait to have it in my shop. Want to find a manual.

Back