Webb/Takisawa TSL-800D, curious if there are other owners here

Kurt,
I finally got a chance to look up what is going on and there is an adjustment for the feed clutch. Go to the manual and it is very vaguely referenced on page 22. I can probably swing by this weekend if you need a hand to get it adjusted.

Mark
You beat me to it; I just saw that very same bit in the manual, and it is indeed vague. Doesn't sound involved though, and if it can be corrected while leaving the apron on, great. I would still like to correct for that missing carriage brake plate, so the apron may still have to come off.

Thanks Mark,

I was trying to avoid getting it from China...

Ray

Turns out that adjusting the clutch is very simple. Remove the thread engagement lever cover, then use needle nose pliers to slightly tighten the small front spanner nut. There are actually two spanner nuts, and without tearing into it, it's not clear what the rear nut does; I only tightened the front one. End result: no more clutch slippage during a feed.

A few other apron-related issues include:
The oil hand pump sounds like it's sucking air, and the carriage lock doesn't work. As Mark pointed out, there's a fair chance that oil hasn't been in the carriage for a long time. It's possible that the pump needs time to soak in fresh oil to expand and reseal.

That said, the pump does seem to at least move oil to the thread engagement handle shaft, because it starts dripping from there for a while after pumping it. There's no doubt a dried up or broken O-ring not doing its job.

Lastly, someone apparently loosened the carriage lock too far and the brake plate detached internally. It's hard to see in there, but it seems unlikely that it's laying loose inside. It probably dropped out into the chip tray and got tossed out, keeping the change gears company—which they also tossed out, grrr.

Thanks Mark,

I was trying to avoid getting it from China...

Ray
I understand wanting to stay domestic, but to ask for free advice, get that free advice, and then say that it's not sufficient, is likely to be answered by, "okay, go find it yourself then." For next time, perhaps consider asking differently, "does anyone know where I can find some US-manufactured copper tubing?" Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
Trying to stay with all US sources is a fruitless endeavor I'm afraid; many items on US distributor's shelves are imported, going back to the 70s
Made in Japan used to be a joke- no one is laughing anymore
M

I am looking lustfully at a Takisawa 800-D that is an 8 hour drive from here. I like the design and the wide, heavy bed. The seller does not have change gears on hand, though he thinks they may be somewhereabouts in his shop... Has anybody located change gears, or can dimensions be provided so I can cut my own? I'm sitting on this as a deal breaker, so whether I purchase or not depends on if I can obtain or make change gears for this lathe.

Deal breaker?, Not really. Negotiating tool, definitely. I have a stack of gears, but never took the time to inventory them. Sizes and tooth count shouldn't pose a major problem. The eight hour drive seems the bigger hurdle. Time, fuel, trailer rental, etc...that could make it a not so appealing.

Mark

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm kinda squirming over spending a weekend driving with a rented trailer for a lathe I've never seen. There should only be four or five gears needed according to the chart. So long as I have someone to reach out to for dimensions, I could make them in my shop. I just don't want to have to hunt for parts for a somewhat rare lathe. If it was a Standard American or a South Bend, I wouldn't think twice about missing parts. Time is 16 hours driving plus loading. Trailer and fuel will be $600, whether I load it up or turn it down. Hmmm.

I didn't realize there were a group of Taki owners here. That is reassuring, at least!

Back