Welding Helmet

I’ve done a couple and I can say the muffin fan is no good for this. Use a centrifugal (squirrel-cage) fan.

I shared mine here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4290081

I have a nozzle in my welding hood and a leather back hood, and it’s great to have fresh air coming in, especially during summer.
That's very cool, thanks for sharing!

I’ve done a couple and I can say the muffin fan is no good for this. Use a centrifugal (squirrel-cage) fan.

I shared mine here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4290081

I have a nozzle in my welding hood and a leather back hood, and it’s great to have fresh air coming in, especially during summer.
Looks good. Where did you get the hose? I've have some that look like vacuum cleaner hose, but it is rather stiff.

Looks good. Where did you get the hose? I've have some that look like vacuum cleaner hose, but it is rather stiff.

I used some anesthesia tubing but since figured out that corr-a-flex is a brand name of medical corrugated tubing. I bought some and it seems good; just requires designing for it.

Just a quick follow-up. I've now used the Crystal 2.0 for Mig and Tig and if I told you what I really thought you'd have to assume I work for Optrel...

I cannot get over how great this helmet is. Every use is a miracle, and I can finally see the stuff you see in those lovely slo-mo videos. I should add that I got the 2x cheater lens - 'cause I are old and blind - and this thing just kicks a$$! I see so much more, it's just flat out incredible.

No, it has not made me a god of welding, but it has certainly made it easier for me to see what I'm doing. It *has* improved my welds.

It's only fair to note that I don't have exhaustive experience with everyone's make and model - prior to purchase I saw good reviews of Lincoln, Miller, etc - I really can't comment. My previous helmet is/was a Hornel (now 3M) Speedglas - bleeding edge in its day, but about 20 years old now. It is nowhere near the Optrel. The others? I can't say. What I can say is the Crystal 2.0 is bleepin' amazing. I really can't think of what more I'd want in a welding helmet, but perhaps my imagination is constrained by previous expectations.

I don't think anyone picking up a C2.0 would be at all disappointed.

GsT

I don't think anyone picking up a C2.0 would be at all disappointed.

I read about the Crystal 2.0 for quite some time, and wanted one, but already have like five shields so I held off. During that time I mentioned them to two coworkers who wound up buying them. The good thing there is I finally got to look through one and wow...they are impressive. One time we compared it to a new Lincoln 3350 and Miller Digital Infinity and it was the clear winner (pun intended!). The only thing is, both guys save them for TIG and use other shields for MIG...sort of makes sense to me.

Back