Welding Helmet

I have the Optrel 2.0, the Swedish people know their helmets. It's rechargeable, vision is great in its clear mode, very adjustable but its one of the helmets I have that I actually trust the auto setting to do what it's supposed to, those my preference is about 1 notch lower than it does in auto (there is an adjustment for auto to do this) Supper light and head gear is comfortable with the round ratchet adjustment at the back. If you wear glasses, forget about it as it fits like goggles inside to give you a huge field of view.

Correct on the Crystal 2.0. The panoramaxx is simply more convenience: wider field of vision (which also helps with not needing to flip up for grinding), grind button is up higher, grind-mode light is now reflected into the viewing area to reduce forgetting to change back to welding mode, no more purchasing CR2025 button batteries since it has a rechargeable battery pack that charges from arc light and from a USB wall-wart via USB cable, comes with iso-fit headgear which I like, "tack-welding" delay mode for easier viewing of tacking procedures . The main disadvantage of the Panoramaxx is that the controls are on the inside and are difficult to change, especially with welding gloves.
I doubt I would change controls much once it was set up. I just need the grind button. I am a little concerned about the Panoramaxx with cheaters because the lens may be too close?

I use a Miller Weld-Mask because I need the smallest setup possible. Big helmets are a no-go. Before that I used a (old) Hobart helmet sourced at Northern Tool. Everything prior was non-auto darkening. I mainly do fairly low amperage TIG steel and aluminum, no MIG, no plasma, no grinding. I did set up some LED lights for the weld table which helped a lot with seeing the puddle with my old eyes.

I doubt I would change controls much once it was set up. I just need the grind button. I am a little concerned about the Panoramaxx with cheaters because the lens may be too close?
Optrel sells you Panoramaxx-specific magnifiers, so they slip right in, just like the more traditional magnifiers install in to other welding helmets.

Reactions: rwm
And tighten the chinstrap on your helmet before boarding the short bus. Heh heh... helmet.

I'm too normal for the short bus, so I wear a hood now. I got the opposite problem, my head is full of hard spots, so no sense in wearing a helmet to protect those. But the flashy blue light is soo pretty!

I figure Cadillac has cost me money with the help of the rest of you...

Look what Santa showed up with today!

I think you'll like it. I'm actually thinking about 3D printing some parts to make my own forced-air filtered setup similar to the "PAPR" system they sell. I've located some small-sized air filters with carbon-elements that I think I can make work with some small squirrel-cage fans.

@General Zod I'm also a wood turner and I know some other turners that have built their own PAPR system to protect themselves from wood dust. Give me a day or two and I'll dig up the details.

@General Zod
Not sure if you'll be able to see this but here is a link to a recent post on a DIY PAPR.
In the same thread there are also some references to other gear that works well.

Back