Welding Helmet

I have the 3350 the Optrel crystal and an e864, I like the Crystal the best, but you have got to buy the cheaters from them, others do not work.

Optrel's are a first class helmet and the vision is some of the clearest on the market. I still use my old Optrel Satellite, but the Crystal is on my wish list. I really like their headgear functionally.

I've put a Miller Digital Infinity, Lincoln 3350 and Optrel Crystal 2.0 next to one another and the Optrel has the clearest lens, no doubt about it. The headgear on the Optrel was recently redesigned and that addresses the majority of complaints (aside from price) I've seen about the Optrel. The only other real criticism has been that generic cheater inserts won't work.

I have yet to see anybody claim they were unimpressed with the clarity of the Optrel lens, or how the electronics worked on them.

I don't own an Optrel right now, because I have literally half a dozen shields, but I will eventually buy one. Two of my coworkers bought them after I raved about the clarity, and both guys love them as well.

I purchased this optrel about a month ago at work. [...]
Never seen that style before. Does the hat/fabric style help with light bleed from the rear? It's my only real gripe with my helmet (Lincoln 3550) and probably the same issue with most helmets. Sometimes I end up using my sweatshirt hood over the helmet to avoid glare inside the helmet...its that annoying.

Last edited:
At work I’m always reaching on my back cuddled into a pocket. Having a hood on my head that flips is useless. Yes the material is a close fit same with the chin area. For the dozen or so times that Ive used it their are no complaints. I will buy one for personal use when time comes.

Last edited:
I have both the Crystal 2.0 and the Panoramaxx CLT 2.0. They are my most frequently used helmets. The others that I have are still great: HTP Striker CSV, Optrel e684.

Reactions: rwm
I assume the Crystal is a 2 x 4" lens? That is what my Miller helmet has. Do you feel like that is adequate for bench welding? I think the main advantage of the Panoramaxx is out of position welding?

I assume the Crystal is a 2 x 4" lens? That is what my Miller helmet has. Do you feel like that is adequate for bench welding? I think the main advantage of the Panoramaxx is out of position welding?
Correct on the Crystal 2.0. The panoramaxx is simply more convenience: wider field of vision (which also helps with not needing to flip up for grinding), grind button is up higher, grind-mode light is now reflected into the viewing area to reduce forgetting to change back to welding mode, no more purchasing CR2025 button batteries since it has a rechargeable battery pack that charges from arc light and from a USB wall-wart via USB cable, comes with iso-fit headgear which I like, "tack-welding" delay mode for easier viewing of tacking procedures . The main disadvantage of the Panoramaxx is that the controls are on the inside and are difficult to change, especially with welding gloves.

Reactions: rwm
Iv'e been using a MorSafe that has served me well since 1990. Prior to that I used the flip style. I have tried others but still come back to the MorSafe. I was told Jackson is very good. Anyone us them.?

Last edited:
Back