Welding Table For My Next Project

Hi,
I have been planning to build a welding table. I want it to be portable but stable. I am thinking 2 wheels, just lift one end and the wheels kick in for easy movement. The dimensions= 30" X 36". I was hoping to add a copper plate for the top. Wow, I priced a 1/2" 30 X 30" plate it was $1,500. I down sized to 1/8 thickness and it was only $500.
At work we have 3 shop tables, they are all 72" by 24", each has a 1/2" copper top. We don't weld on them. I wonder if I ask my boss if he would mind if I cleaned up one of those tables and replaced the top with a more convenient metal top? :)
I am thinking thin wall 2x3" steel stock. Make the cuts on my band saw, dress the cuts and TIG weld the assembly.
Any plans on-line or do you know of a source for any ideas in this area? I would like to have a shelf for materials, something to hold all my welding accessories.
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff if you still want the steel 1/2" x 30" x 30" here is a 1/2 x 36" x 36" for $170 plus shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-HRO-St...eet&LH_BIN=1&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0|0

Just wondering,what does a copper top do for ya?500.00 buy a nice flat 1" thick plate

Well looking at McMaster carr you would get a 12x12 pc at 1” thick of copper for 475 bucks.

I posted this in the Members Projects section. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/folding-welding-table.70996/

It is based off the CertiFlat 24 x 36 table top. The tab and slot tables are a neat idea and for $240 shipped worth the cost. Mine did not just fall together like they claim and took about 4 hours to put together while keeping it flat. It fits my needs very well and being able to adapt it into a folding setup worked out nicely. When I eventually get into a better shop space I would consider one of their fab tables in 3/8" thick steel.

I figured building a welding table was an investment and a piece of equipment that would out last me. I built mine 4'x6' with a 1/2" thick top. Legs and frame are 2"x2" 1/4" wall sitting on casters. Also have an expanded steel shelf below. I purchased all my steel new and total bill was just under a grand. I will have to take some new pictures and post them. The ones I have are in my photobucket account and are currently being held for ransom so I cant hotlink.

Back