Welding table project.

RYAN S

Registered
Registered
Hi, first time posting on here. Thought I would put up my current project. A couple of months ago I bought a giant cnc tombstone. The plan is to cut it in half and make two welding tables. Problem is it is two inch plate steel...

I would like to cut it with out heating it up too much and possibly warping it.

First I tried cutting it with the evolution circ saw, this went well for the first inch or so... then it tripped the thermal switch. The other problem is the material is slightly thicker than the blade depth. I think it is having trouble clearing the chip.

Next was the stihl chop saw with a metal disc. This was pretty hard on the back and it is really cold outside. Pretty sure I can get through it this way with a few discs and a lot of patience.

I am considering using a track torch for the simple route, but am worried about warping it. Any thoughts?

Thanks

RyanBB082AE0-7440-46E0-B757-2954675EA299.jpegEC688B59-1609-47A7-A8D3-9EFE4FC2C11E.jpeg7CEB0DF9-EC5E-40C9-87E6-0CBD91C4CA84.jpeg

I'm sure you'll make good use of it. But I have to say. It seems insane to have destroyed that cube to make 2 welding tables. Unless you picked it up super cheap. Even still. I would think reselling and buying a certiflat welding table would have been the way to go.

Anyway, its a nice piece of steel and hope it serves you well.

Is it possible the cut line is closing slightly as you cut causing the blade binding? Maybe you could put some sort of jack inside the cube to help spread the two sides as you cut or drive wedges in the open end of the cut line.
It looks like a lot of work, I hope your back survives, I know mine wouldn't

John

Don’t worry, I picked it up for $250.00!! As for the cut closing, I don’t think it is. I don’t have enough cut so far for that to happen. But I will remember to put a jack in there just in case.

Thanks

Ryan

I would make 1/2” deep or less cuts in secession with the evolution saw. I might try setting up an air hose to blow chips out the front away from you. Small copper line atached to the saw. Or use a small amount of cutting fluid to keep the blade free.
I use my Milwaukee to Cut 1” plate in one pass but it takes all the power and you need to go slow. Not sure in the power of the evolution saw.

I don't know if I would worry much about the warpage caused by torch cutting. Properly done, torch cutting doesn't put that much heat into the metal (much less than welding). Also, I don't know if surface plate like accuracy is really needed for a welding table. I would also think that there may be some pent up streeses left in it that will cause it to warp a small amount no matter if it's cold or hot cut. Just my two cents.

is there any water jets nearby? This would eliminate any concern over heating

I was wondering about pent up stresses letting lose after cutting, I am hoping that the sides would keep it in place.

I did try and call two local water jet companies and both told me it was too large for their table.

If it warms up anytime soon, I will give it another go with the chop saw.

Ryan

You know somebody is crying looking at that. :cower: But it will be a pretty sweet table once done. I would keep going at it with the abrasive saw. That's gonna be your best bet. I would take ratchet tie downs and pulled the box "apart" while cutting to guarantee it won't pinch the blade. The evolution saw would work but don't take one big cut do multiple rips lowering the blade and some lube. Wanna see pics when done.

Back