Welding - WTH?

7 million acres?

For some perspective in the US the 10 year average number of acres burnt annually is 6.9 million, with about 1/4 to 1/3 of that total occurring in Alaska. To date in 2019 the US has burnt 4.6 million acres, with 1/2 of that occurring in Alaska.

So far in 2019 Australia has burnt a combined 12 million acres and they are only in the middle of their fire season. By landmass Australia is roughly 2/3 the size of the USA and they are only in the middle of their fire season.

Australia is no stranger to fire, but 2019 is set to make several new records, it has been a very bad year for fires.

I used to be a volunteer firefighter here in Northern New Jersey and we had the occasional brush fire but they were always pretty manageable, but down in the pine lands they have huge fires because of all the needles that the trees drop there is natural kindling spread all over the ground. And once it gets going and hot enough even the live trees burn. My late cousin used to work in Georgia on a large timber plantation of pine trees a couple months out of the year, he was always clearing the fire roads with a large dozer, and the fire breaks. They would do a controlled burn every year of a third of the property to keep the fuel load on the ground manageable. Fires unfortunately are a natural thing , it is amazing to see how quickly nature regenerates after a fire but unfortunately that doesn't include the people or a lot of the animals who perished in it. I have a good friend in Australia right now, he is safe so far but wild fire is a scary thing it can change direction in an instant and the wind can carry embers pretty far, I pray for all involved. TJ

I recommend reading a good welding text with an emphasis on engineering, such as the Lincoln Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding, or something like that. It has been referred to as the "bible". I don't know how you did the welding, but the book stresses on calculating the amount of weld length based on the strength requirement, and not welding too much more than that. This will go a long way to help avoid warping. No full coverage welds unless you are welding up an anvil.

A long weld starting from one end will warp just about anything. Tack weld the whole structure if it can support itself and then alternate seam welding (1" max at a time) from one side to the other so the shrinking welds fight each other. On parts that have to remain true I often weld or clamp extra braces and cross pieces, only removing them when welding is done and cooled. As mentioned in previous posts only full seam weld if you absolutely need it.

Look into flame-straightening. It doesn't mean you heat your project and bend it while it's hot. It's a completely different thing.

After welding, I discovered that the whole plate has been bent out of shape along both it's width and length.

I knew that stuff will bend while it is welded, but did not think this will happen on 10mm steel.....

Fortunately I did manage to get it bent back to within about 95% of what it was.

Obviously anything will warp with enough heat but I'm a bit surprised too on the 10mm .

There are some useful videos on YouTube if you search for "weld sequencing".

Glad you were able to get it mostly square.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 PLUS using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here is a setup that we recently used to resist / work with warpage due to the heat of welding. The plate was pre flexed by placing a washer in the middle and then bolting down the edges. After welding it came out flat. 241F2788-E8A6-4225-AA82-C3CCE3EDF195.jpeg

Back