What angle do you keep your compound at?

Here is a picture where it usually is. The last operation was facing. The dial says 0°.

image.jpg

30 degrees for threading, except for Acme threads @14 1/2 deg. I never bought into the 29/29-1/2 deg. thing, was taught in high school by an excellent teacher to use 30 deg and every journeyman that I came in contact with did the same. As stated by others, 90 deg interferes with the tailstock on most lathes, and zero setting can interfere with the cross-slide crank and visibility of the cross-feed dial.
me too.

On the Summit, I dial it in parallel to the bed. My DRO will sum the carriage and compound. The carriage probably weighs 5 hundred pounds, not easy to come up to a shoulder within a thou, but the compound can.
On the small lathe, where ever it was last set.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever angle it was last used at.
Ditto, If I've been trying to pickup a tread it will be parallel to the spindle. If I was making a long chamfer it will be at 45 or it will be at any other angle that was useful. I don't use the compound for threading, just straight in.

I removed my compound. And a few years later added a Rocketronics ELS Pro, so no need for the compound at all now.
As Huub does, I only thread straight in, for pitches less than 12 or so it makes little difference.

Used to use 90 but it was awkward with the tailstock sometimes so I shifted to 29 degrees and it’s stayed there ever since.

@jackary99 that’s a nice looking machine and top slide — what is it?

-frank
Thank you Frank, Its a Colchester Chipmaster, I have added tee slots to the cross slide and and made the topslide which can be moved and locked by the side lever.
Alan

Yes @jackary99 that looks much fancier than most of us mortals deserve- care to enlighten us?
Especially interested in your toolpost
-Mark

Hi Mark,.
The toolpost is my version of the MLA toolpost, I have only made two toolhoders but that seems to be ok. The idea was to minimise cantilevered overhang and keep the cutting forces over the cross slide.
Alan

Back