What Beginners Mill to Buy

"...I don't have the room for real machines, I've contemplated getting a bench top mill and a small lathe from harbor freight..."

"This is pretty much verbatim what one hears several times per week on the hobby sites. Seems like it is more important for total newbies to immediately purchase some cheap imported trappings of what they think a machinist should have, something that requires no more effort or learning on their part than to simply make one phone call and plunk down a credit card, than to seek out quality that will last."

Above quote from a recent post on a professional machinist forum kinda sums up why so many start out with the wrong machines.

"...I don't have the room for real machines, I've contemplated getting a bench top mill and a small lathe from harbor freight..."

"This is pretty much verbatim what one hears several times per week on the hobby sites. Seems like it is more important for total newbies to immediately purchase some cheap imported trappings of what they think a machinist should have, something that requires no more effort or learning on their part than to simply make one phone call and plunk down a credit card, than to seek out quality that will last."

Above quote from a recent post on a professional machinist forum kinda sums up why so many start out with the wrong machines.

For clarity, you are the author of that quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't think I made that remark or even a similar remark. Your post is apparently based in ignorance because I simply stated I DIDN'T HAVE THE MONEY , nothing about space. BTW, I'm leaning toward the PM25 .

Two more factors to consider. Distance you're willing to travel to acquire one and if you are willing/able to deal with 3 phase or not.
Lost Creek Machine in Ottawa, Illinois carries a big selection of used equipment. I even see a couple Bridgeport mills in your price range.
They have a good reputation, I've heard, and some machines come with tooling. I pretty sure their prices are negotiable as well.
Only issue is the 10 hour drive from you to them. Here's their website link:
http://www.lostcreekmachine.com/

I'm inclined to spend your money Bruce's way (above). If you go the knee mill route, no matter what happens you'll have a fair chance of recouping your investment if your feet go cold. Not so with a new-purchased bench top mill. The import mill size hierarchy in this context goes: round column < square column < baby knee < small BPort. The jump from round column to square column is small. Some would argue the round column's double drive belts make it better than the square column's cheesy geared head. I would argue that the baby knee is a better way to go, but some of them still have cheesy geared heads and it's not much of a step up from the square column, except that you get a working knee. So, since we're inching toward $2k anyway, why not consider small (Series-I) Bridgeport clones (ABC, Acer, Sharp)? They're not very big, and the tables are about the same size as the other mills mentioned. The weight IIRC is under 1500 lbs until you get into Series-II and bigger mills, and they can be lightened to a manageable weight for moving by removing the head, beam, and table. If you're willing to wait or maybe do some limited travel, your options really open up.

Located a Series 1 Bridgeport and NO clones. The Bridgeport was $3500; I'm not sure I'll live long enough to save that much.

When I was shopping for my first machine (lathe) every one told me that used American iron was a better value than a new Chicom machine. Well I bought a used Logan and beat my head against the wall for years trying to do even moderately accurate work on that machine. The bed was worn but I didn't have the experience to figure that out nor the knowledge to fix it. Tired of filing and sanding things to size I bought a new Grizzly G4003G. In a week I was getting great finishes and working to .001" was easy. My point is that things that work out well for an experienced machinist may not be the best move for a newby.

Last edited:
The small ones are not big enough, but you can go too big.:)
Get the biggest square column mill, well cared for used, or new you can fit.
That's why the Clausing 8520's are so darn popular.

Back