What brand of tools would you buy NOW if you were buying?

author=Highpower link=topic=3075.msg21802#msg21802 date=1313113899
I'll tell you what brand of tool I won't be buying anymore! Darex!

Anyone else have a "Drill Doctor" that is more than 5 years old? :evil: :mad: :evil: :mad:

I do... But I baby it.

Last edited by a moderator:
After almost forty years in the car biz, the way I look at it, it depends on how much you like the skin on your knuckles. For wrenches and sockets, Snap On, hands down. Hammers, who cares. Pliars, also, who cares. Screwdrivers, it's hard to beat snap on but I will NOT pay $20.00 for A single screwdriver not that I am retired. Sears is still a great place for screwdrivers. I have a lot of all of the other pro line tools. Mac, Matco, Cornwell, even have a set of old american Wright impact sockets. Never HAVE broken one of those. The point is, you get waht you pay for. Right now though, unless you are turning wrenches 8 hrs a day, sanp on is too freaking high. Yeah, I've got them but for the home stuff, sears is fine.

From this thread, I am going to make a list of tool brands that I want to look at what I buy. That will help me when I search Ebay for used tools.

Thanks!

Nelson

I have just a few Snap-On tools that I got used on EBay, and they were not cheap, but not as outrageous as new. They make a couple of insulated wirecutters that I bought to use to wire the basement that are some outrageous orange and red color, but they work nicely. I would never buy new if I could get used.

Nelson

When I get the chance, I hit pawn shops, flea markets, antique malls, garage sales etc and specifically look for old Craftsman, S-K, Proto, Snap-On and others. I have had a few successes in doing this and every once in a while you come away with a really good surprise!

NXr

Proto, Wright, Craftsman sockets extensions and screwdrivers (forget their ratchets and anything not USA made) SK is back in business and looking good Armstrong and the Williams stuff that is still USA made Allen is not so bad either.

Speaking of the truck brands, Snap-on is king of course but so is the price. Regarding new Bluepoint you will want to be careful with them as most BP tools are now imports. In fact, some Snap-on tools are now made in China as well, and I bet the percentage is far greater than many would imagine! I like Mac tools as well (owned by Stanley) as well as Cornwell and Matco, but in my area I rarely see Cornwell or Matco trucks.

I would stick with a mix of Craftsman and Proto myself. I still do my best to dodge import tools, but that is just me. I don't judge others for buying import tools and I expect the same courtesy in my avoiding them when possible. :thumbzup:

Par-X was Snap-on's second line. They aren't as pretty, but they're just as good. I don't know if they still make them or not, but the Snap-On truck carried them for those on a budget. Of course, that was back in the late sixties, when I spun wrenches for my biscuits...

Par-X tools are great. Unfortunately Snap-on quit selling them sometime in the 1970's.

Part, if not all, of Proto was bought out by Stanley Tool Works a few years ago. They aren't what they used to be, but are still pretty good industrial quality tools, and cost less than SnapOn. SnapOn is priced to service the automotive industry primarily (but not solely) and carry mechanics on a "truck account" that makes it easy to purchase their tools. It also keeps the truck rolling into the shop weekly to sell more tools.

While I would sgree that Stanley buying them and Mac gave both a black eye, I have seen nothing that would indicate the quality of Proto tools has diminished in the least. I cannot speak so much to MAC since I get little from the trucks.

Back