What did I do? Bridgeport purchase

This is what worries me. This is a Bridgeport from the same seller and location. Their mills wildly vary in price. And little to no description on any of them.

AA7B0032-1918-4EA1-BFF8-6BF169E7011B.png
D43D6093-513A-4A48-83A6-5EA77CD3B404.jpeg

At $1000, even if you had to rebuild the head you'll be... "ahead". The versatility gained from a full-sized the knee mill beat out anything else in the category. Clean it up, get it adjusted, and give it a go. I think just about any noise in the head can be remedied for a few hundred dollars with a rebuild kit from H-W. If you get it all cleaned up and running, you could always try to triple your money by selling it if it's not for you.
Thank you! I’m hoping you are correct. If it works I am sure it will be much better than the Clausing 8520 mill I have. I’m excited about this.

Well, if it looks more like the first picture than the last picture, that may hold true. At least with HGR you have a lot of inventory to pick from. Even if you do have to wait, it shouldn't be for very long...

This is what worries me. This is a Bridgeport from the same seller and location. Their mills wildly vary in price. And little to no description on any of them.

View attachment 443491

This is why I say I would approach it with a great deal of caution, these will go for what the market will bear, look at this one, rough puppy, the one you showed earlier looked far better yet they dropped to 1000 buck? There is more than meets the eye, on the one I rebuilt we found a crack on the head stock and a broken gear and to replace both proved very expensive. the motor can be expensive as well, even to rewind.

My wife and I owned a ford truck once, put 560000 miles on it and when in threw a rod my wife said should we replace the motor? my answer was NO, the rest of the truck will still have 560000 miles on it and I would be chasing issues caused by putting a new motor in it with more power and torque.

I am not saying it isn't a good deal nor that it isn't worth it. I am not even trying to talk you out of buying it. I am simply advising an abundance of caution and skepticism; because "sometimes" it really is cheaper to buy a new wagon than it is to rebuild the old one.

This is why I say I would approach it with a great deal of caution, these will go for what the market will bear, look at this one, rough puppy, the one you showed earlier looked far better yet they dropped to 1000 buck? There is more than meets the eye, on the one I rebuilt we found a crack on the head stock and a broken gear and to replace both proved very expensive. the motor can be expensive as well, even to rewind.

My wife and I owned a ford truck once, put 560000 miles on it and when in threw a rod my wife said should we replace the motor? my answer was NO, the rest of the truck will still have 560000 miles on it and I would be chasing issues caused by putting a new motor in it with more power and torque.

I am not saying it isn't a good deal nor that it isn't worth it. I am not even trying to talk you out of buying it. I am simply advising an abundance of caution and skepticism; because "sometimes" it really is cheaper to buy a new wagon than it is to rebuild the old one.
Totally understand and agree. I’m mostly looking for advice on what to look for when I pick it up. And if anyone could spot anything obvious in the photos. Considering I have never been around a Bridgeport.

I’ve already had some good advice after posting this.

Totally understand and agree. I’m mostly looking for advice on what to look for when I pick it up. And if anyone could spot anything obvious in the photos. Considering I have never been around a Bridgeport.

I’ve already had some good advice after posting this.
I hope you find a gem my friend, I like those endings such as the remarkable barn finds; and, if you do get it I hope to hear about the rebuild.... :)

Suspiciously good price! Along with the obvious drive, spindle bearings etc., check the nod adjustment by running it through the full range. The rack on the casting can be hard to repair and expensive to replace.

Return policy is great if they will pick it up.

More than likely this will need the variable speed head repaired.
I doubt the spindle bearings to be bad , they are pretty robust but one incompetent shift from high to low or vice versa will destroy the drive dogs.
If it is the first one pictured I would go for it.

Back