What did I do? Bridgeport purchase

I hope you find a gem my friend, I like those endings such as the remarkable barn finds; and, if you do get it I hope to hear about the rebuild.... :)
I hope so too! Thank you. I plan on keeping you guys updated.

Suspiciously good price! Along with the obvious drive, spindle bearings etc., check the nod adjustment by running it through the full range. The rack on the casting can be hard to repair and expensive to replace.

Return policy is great if they will pick it up.

Will do. Are you referring to the rack on this part?

A3EB3D74-7B84-4A62-A423-99509DFBF5BC.jpeg

More than likely this will need the variable speed head repaired.
I doubt the spindle bearings to be bad , they are pretty robust but one incompetent shift from high to low or vice versa will destroy the drive dogs.
If it is the first one pictured I would go for it.
By first one pictured are you referring to this one?
7C0AE4F2-B982-4241-9A57-1CB396DEDD16.jpeg

If so, that’s the one I’m picking up in 2 days.

This is why I say I would approach it with a great deal of caution, these will go for what the market will bear, look at this one, rough puppy, the one you showed earlier looked far better yet they dropped to 1000 buck? There is more than meets the eye, on the one I rebuilt we found a crack on the head stock and a broken gear and to replace both proved very expensive. the motor can be expensive as well, even to rewind.

My wife and I owned a ford truck once, put 560000 miles on it and when in threw a rod my wife said should we replace the motor? my answer was NO, the rest of the truck will still have 560000 miles on it and I would be chasing issues caused by putting a new motor in it with more power and torque.

I am not saying it isn't a good deal nor that it isn't worth it. I am not even trying to talk you out of buying it. I am simply advising an abundance of caution and skepticism; because "sometimes" it really is cheaper to buy a new wagon than it is to rebuild the old one.
The seller is HGR, they are one of, if not the, largest liquidator and reseller of used industrial machinery in the country. From what I know, by speaking the sales reps on the phone and making some small purchases from therm. They do very little if any real inspection on such machines, they take photos and maybe some dimensional measurements, that's all. They do not power up anything or check runout, bearings, backlash, etc. They price the machines using a formula and hold them for a set time period, dropping the price every few weeks, until it sells. If it doesn't sell after the time is up, it's sold for scrap. Thats why the prices are all over the place, the more trashed looking machine is simply newer in their inventory. It is a great place to get a deal on machinery but It is totally up to the buyer to know what they are getting.

The price is certainly suspicious, but as Eddy pointe out, they pretty much buy/sell on a formula. I've seen machines they buy at auction wind up on eBay and this appears to be along those lines...all the cables have zip ties on them, etc.

It certainly could have issues that will be expensive to replace/repair, but even parting it out would probably be a net profit. Heck, if just the DRO and power feed work you're already even.

image.jpg
Status update… I’m waiting for my Bridgeport to be loaded on my uhaul trailer. I can’t find anything wrong with it short of powering it up! I could slightly spin the spindle and it seemed smooth. But the real test is powering it up.

Next hurdle… getting it home without it falling over. I’m going to strap the hell out of this. I’m scared of my Michigan roads.

I love HGR!!!! I could spend all day here.

B4FB72BA-16AA-4FA5-9581-CB097D5E7049.jpeg

I also picked up a Bridgeport vise for $239

AD789EC6-7A8D-4FC2-8952-F7D81FBC2E58.jpeg

D1B5C4B0-37B2-453C-AFE5-BD28B81D4E86.jpeg

7F34D857-56FB-4D22-9C6B-A3A260674D21.jpeg

C796C639-B599-4524-86F1-84441BF74E8F.jpeg

7DFDABC9-CDF3-4C85-B402-4D09FA4D3EBE.jpeg

View attachment 443734Status update… I’m waiting for my Bridgeport to be loaded on my uhaul trailer. I can’t find anything wrong with it short of powering it up! I could slightly spin the spindle and it seemed smooth. But the real test is powering it up.

Next hurdle… getting it home without it falling over. I’m going to strap the hell out of this. I’m scared of my Michigan roads.

I love HGR!!!! I could spend all day here.

View attachment 443735

I also picked up a Bridgeport vise for $239

View attachment 443736
View attachment 443737
View attachment 443738
View attachment 443739
View attachment 443740

View attachment 443741

View attachment 443742
Awesome, love that vice....

If you see this in time, a strap around the body to each corner will lock it in place....so four straps. Any less and it leaves an opportunity for it to move somewhat. Some people use two to the rear corners and one around the front, thinking braking is the threat. That's true, but it lets the front shift left/right and when that happens it loosens one of the rear straps slightly.

6E492F22-180B-416E-B94F-571D0D302152.jpeg
B0896DBF-644C-44E1-87DF-AD362A604B84.jpeg

A9DB2655-BCF1-4161-9A4A-1358F74BCAD3.jpeg

If you see this in time, a strap around the body to each corner will lock it in place....so four straps. Any less and it leaves an opportunity for it to move somewhat. Some people use two to the rear corners and one around the front, thinking braking is the threat. That's true, but it lets the front shift left/right and when that happens it loosens one of the rear straps slightly.
I believe I did what you suggested? It’s riding nicely. I’m happy. 2 hours to go

Back