What Did You Buy Today?

Stefan discussed this in his Q&A video: there is a significant price jump above 1/4” / 6mm carbide end mills.
just remember most of his work is fine small work. He does not do a lot of large scale work. I prefer larger endmills to hog off lots of material.

Stefan discussed this in his Q&A video: there is a significant price jump above 1/4” / 6mm carbide end mills.
Yep. I saw that. Been aware of that for a long time. They're also a lot cheaper if you crash one!

My machining strategies have been use the cheapest option for consumables possible. Added a high speed spindle to the CNC mill to take advantage of that. And smaller end mills is less cutting force which means less vibration on this little mill.

It takes a while to get used to watching 1/8" carbide at 12 to 20 IPM in steel. But once everything is dialed in, cuts are really nice.

Email LMS and ask if the top & gibs are compatible with you 7x14: they say SEIG C3 7x14 is compatible, but they can check and save you cost and trouble. Give them a couple of days to respond: have of their team are at Cabin Fever in Pennsylvania, and won't be heading across country until sometime tomorrow after they pack up the booth.
Yeah, I'll drop them an email in the week, cheers. :)

just remember most of his work is fine small work. He does not do a lot of large scale work. I prefer larger endmills to hog off lots of material.
Take a look at this clip, where he makes what seems to me an impossible slotting cut in steel.

Can you imagine? The info said 5K pounds each x 21 = 105K pounds.
5 feet square. That's a 10 foot x 25 foot driveway plus one to play with. LOL
I'm going to try to remember to watch that auction to see what the lot goes for.

there is a significant price jump above 1/4” / 6mm carbide end mills.
Aslo a significant time! My most commonly used one 3/8" HSS. Fly cutter or 2" shell mill for larger areas. I sharpen my 3/8 & ½" HSS on the cutter grinder. Can get a lot of sharpenings out of them. Can do carbide also. I just do the ends not the flutes.

Tom, you have been killing it with the machinist chest finds. Looking forward to those pics.

This site is good at making sure even my lunch money ends up in the toolbox instead. The chatter about the wedge hold downs a couple weeks ago got me thinking I just had to have some. Picked up a pair of Lufkin 1"x6" ones.

View attachment 473725

Here are a few pics of my progress. I have spent probably 8-10 hours with 0000 steel wool and kingsford lighter fluid scrubbing the box.

Before
c90fb2f537ef8d877fb76fda296c2d6a.jpg

During showing progress
55b9e2f965c4ba46f80ce8d4563f2946.jpg

af3b8eabbc8e3d46b7ccb5fd11d892a7.jpg

5ac55798e01ce003c6994d5ff6567258.jpg

What I have tonight. I am glueing up the missing drawer. I will be re felting this one for sure
b53e159e8714fac816726a87c7ac1ef4.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back