What Did You Buy Today?

Dave, I hope they at least told you what was wrong with it.
He did . A hour fix to get it running . This one will be painted and the deck reworked . wire wheeled , stripped , primed and painted . I did 3 GT262s over the years and made some good money off of them . :encourage:

At my sister-in-law’s house… massage gun stopped working due to a bad rechargeable battery… so we took it apart. I could not let them throw this to the trash….

IMG_5009.jpeg

I see an engine…

At my sister-in-law’s house… massage gun stopped working due to a bad rechargeable battery… so we took it apart. I could not let them throw this to the trash….

View attachment 484660

I see an engine…
OOH, OOH! I see potential! I don't know what for yet, but it's defiantly there.
There's no way I'd lets something like that slip through my grasp either. :)

Bah...I knew it was too good to be true.

The drill press I bought ( https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/what-did-you-buy-today.55645/post-1116272 ) does have an issue. The bearings are knackered. :oops:

Unbenknownst to.me, the quill was locked when I looked at it on premises (got to stop being so trusting, there's always a first time one is fooled by people who have done you good deals in tbe past :oops:) and so all seemed firm and I hadn't noticed and unlocked it since bringing it home. Now I have, I see there's a fair bit of rock and roll.

Eh never mind; I've got the spindle pulley and top 2 bearings off (and they're both in a state, the topmost being the worst) and just need to get the spindle out and the bottom bearing off (which I can also feel some movement on).

It's all gone without any drama other than having to make a tool (to get a slotted nut off), out of an old imperial spanner that was with a load of other tools in a rusty car mechanics steel toolbox I 'liberated' from the local council recycling place (with 'nod and a wink' permission from one of the workers; he just said quietly "I've got to go over there, keep to the left and the CCTV cameras won't pick you up").

Those cheapy two and three legged pullers I got off amazon have paid for themselves nicely in the past 6 months.

And yep, didn't need a manual after all. Turns out my 'machine-sense' is developing nicely. One of the few good and useful things my dad passed on to me possibly.:grin:

I got a tractor and a dump trailer...........the Mrs. gets a 1922 Steinway and Sons model M..........pretty sure we're going to be on par with our total spent by the time we get this thing back to its former glory. :D needs a lot of love, but still sounds amazing and was a relative steal for Alaska. ;)

I feel like a surface grinder might be in my future.............distant future, but it's starting to come into focus. :D

Attachments

• PXL_20240331_031920292.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240331_031920292.MP.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20240331_031926743.jpg
    PXL_20240331_031926743.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 36
Had to get out of the house yesterday, so I trecked to the nearest Harbor Fright in Bricktown. On a whim I bought a small bench vise. The slightly larger 1 was the same price on sale but they were out. I figured I'd make due with it as I am going to need a much larger 1 (upwards of 200$) eventually.

Has anyone seen the prices for used vices on Craigslist? Here in NJ they be skeery.

They always have been outrageous in our part of the world. Nasty beat up old hulks are going for several hundred dollars. Decent ones are well over $500. And often close to $1,000.00

I broke one about 20 years ago and needed a replacement in a hurry. Of all places I found one at Menards. It was only about $125.00 so I was hoping it would make it through the project. Some 20 years later it’s still in service. I would have never bet it would last a year.

The thing is going into a HF is becoming increasingly unpleasant. This one doesn't have even the 7 x 10 on display anymore. I sure as heck ain't going to spend an equivalent amount on a Pittsburgh or whatever tool set as something from Lowe's/Homo Depot/online. Remember the shills on every forum saying they've been using their Pitts ratchet for 15 years? Yeah, 15 days maybe.

Clowns always bugging you for your phone number. Very big tunover in the help. Horror Freight used to be kind of ok. Now I avoid it as much as possible.

Ain't got Menards round hea. Wish we did. We do have Tractor Supply. But I'm sure that's everywhere by now. In so many more years they may become annoyances also. But they've been around at least 30 years. The 1 right down the road has only been around a few though. They're.pretty cool for now.

Back