What Did You Buy Today?

Congratulations. Ya got 'em at a great price. I like your practice of having a "full set of tools" dedicated to and close by each machine. Been trying to do that myself.

Couple of things ‘fell’ into my KBC cart while shopping for tools to complete my mill alignment guide build.
Thanks for the Noga recommendation @mikey, I’m very impressed with the fit and finish. And I got it for
4b50bb88b2ce4923dd4775a2705d52af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! I have that same stand and really like it. Super solid and very slick to adjust :encourage:

-frank

I’ll admit that I was somewhat skeptical because the two arm stand that I have is effectively useless because it either doesn’t work with my indicators or is so difficult to use that it just doesn’t matter.

Couple of things ‘fell’ into my KBC cart while shopping for tools to complete my mill alignment guide build.
Thanks for the Noga recommendation @mikey, I’m very impressed with the fit and finish. And I got it for
4b50bb88b2ce4923dd4775a2705d52af.jpg

I have the same stand. I got the same advice from Mikey. Isn't it great how guys help spend our money. At least you got yours out of the box. Mine is still in the box. LOL

Took a risk on a couple of micrometers on eBay for $40 delivered. One is a Fowler electronic digital 0-1.2", other a mechanical-digital Fowler 0-1" screw pitch. Just my personal preference, but I like the mechanical-digital mic's over the electronic ones. The electronic one was sold as non-working. Screw pitch was missing all of the anvils (5 sets of 2).

I have two metal lathes: Grizzly G0709 14" x 40" and a Clausing 5418 12" x 24". They each have their own tool carts which are both similarly stocked. Both started out with Shars 0-1" screw pitch mic's. I picked up a set of Fowler mechanical-digit a few months ago for the Grizzly, have been shopping for one for the Clausing (yes, OCD). There were a few options on eBay for about $175, but I got the one for the Grizzly at under $75 as I recall.

When this pair of mic's showed up I checked if the Shars thread anvils would fit in my Fowler mic; they did. So I did the Buy It Now and got them both today. The electronic one works IF I hold the battery against the contacts. I'll do a little work with a strip of brass for a contact and it'll be fine. Transferred over the anvils from the Shars to the Fowler, now both lathes are equally equipped. I'll hang onto the Shars vernier-style just in case one of the digitals craps out.

Thanks for looking,

Bruce

$40 delivered off eBay. Sold as parts/not working
View attachment 343696

My Clausing had a Shars 0-1" thread pitch mic
View attachment 343697

Moved the anvils over from the Shars to the Fowler, now have two mechanical-digital mics.
View attachment 343698

Electronic Fowler works, but needs some contact help
View attachment 343699

Nice Bruce. I have the 0-1" Mitutoyo "mechanical-digital" mic. Just bought the 1-2" on an auction and going to pick it up on Friday when I go pick up my shaper. No, not a metal shaper but a Jet wood shaper.

You're welcome, Dave. You got two good tools there. I have the Starrett 91A, B and C and really like them.

Nice Bruce. I have the 0-1" Mitutoyo "mechanical-digital" mic. Just bought the 1-2" on an auction and going to pick it up on Friday when I go pick up my shaper. No, not a metal shaper but a Jet wood shaper.

I prefer the mechanical digital mics as well. Much faster to read when you aren’t chasing tenths.

DavidR8
Tell/show me more about that tap wrench.

DavidR8
Tell/show me more about that tap wrench.

It’s a Starrett 91B which will accept taps from 3/16” to 1/2”.
There’s also the 91A with a capacity for 1/16”-1/4” taps.
These two cover the small end of tap sizes for me. For anything over 1/2” I have a Patience and Nicholson tap and die set which has a stout tap wrench.

Back