What Did You Buy Today?

If you built a watch like that you'd have the money--Daniels sold it originally for something like $20k GBP and it sold at auction a few years later for $1M.

It took Daniels a lifetime to develop the skills, however, and he did have a decent investment in tools. There's a good documentary on him you can Google.

Have fun with your Derbyshire!
Thank you i have a few things planned for it since i dont have my bigger lathe going yet but its just small things to get acquainted with it. Would love some more projects though.

CXA tool post mini-crane

and chuck hook

I bought directly from Sky Hook Mfr. They are really nice people to deal with. One of those places where an informed human answers the phone when you call.

I cannot risk a back injury (who can?).

Last edited:
Thank you i have a few things planned for it since i dont have my bigger lathe going yet but its just small things to get acquainted with it. Would love some more projects though.
I have a Boley-Leinen but have not used it much. The Derbyshire could good to build a little model engine if you aren’t interested in horology.

If i could get plans for an engine id try making one. Im looking at doing one if these models.

If you do one, you have to do the whole shop, with the line shaft kit.
I plan on it. The kits aren't cheap though so its gonna take some time. I would love to do it though! Ill take donations to get start lol

My 5C collet chuck arrived today.
It’s the same one as Clough42 bought and saw very respectable results from.
I managed to achieve .00025” runout.
042576bf555671f3ace536c91e8bfa78.jpg

042576bf555671f3ace536c91e8bfa78.jpg

That is the one I am looking to purchase. Have read some good reports on them and have watched the video on YouTube. Will probably pull the trigger on it in a month or so.

I’m very impressed with the fit and finish. I hummed and hawed over the decision but I’m happy that I went for it.

@DavidR8 Did you buy a set of collets yet? I was came across a set at an auction not too long ago, all Hardinge, but the online bidders drove the price up to almost retail.

Looking at the ones on Ebay but concerned about some of the reviews I have seen on YouTube. Mostly they appear as thought they didn't finish them, very sharp edges from the cuts, uneven cuts and some have indicate runout to be an issue. I am sure this may vary.

Back