What Did You Buy Today?

Today just before the snow i stopped by the local tool/ flea market. First thing i found and bought was this 12V old old impact driver 7$. Then i found and bought this china piston ring compressor 6$. Last thing i found and bought was this silicone sealant that is heat resistant 3$. Since the pandemic started this place is slim pickings for machines tools.
IMG_20210124_104145.jpgIMG_20210124_104336.jpgIMG_20210124_104503.jpg

I finally get to post something, seams I don't buy much anymore.
Was fed up with Dremel's, they don't last, and seam to be out of balance. The bearings in mine were shot so thought I'd spring for a Proxon.
Came today, on low speed its almost silent and full out not a hint of vibration. Was surprised, they're still made in Germany
IMG_4465.jpg

I've never seen mention of anyone using collets in an indexing head. Thought I'd give it a try. MT3 from Amazon, fresh from China, haven't check the runout yet but they look good.

IMG_4466.jpg

Greg

Ya 3/4 inch, the set goes down to 1/8th. Hope they work out holding mandrels when cutting gears, or the blank for some small ones I need to cut.
I have a Vertex head, think its a copy of a Brown and Sharpe, they had their own collets apparently, so they must be used, just never have seen reference to stock being held in a collet.

Greg

That issue of angle iron being kicked out is not uncommon. Use a piece of square tubing or bar to provide a solid clamping surface. I have only had this experience with angle as you don't get sufficient clamping surface.
I use a chunk of 2x4 between the clamp face and the vertical of the angle. Keeps it clamped tight. I do the same in the bandsaw.

I recently brought home an American Pacemaker 14x30 lathe. Moving the new lathe shined a bright light on my need for better rigging equipment. For starters my Northern Tool bar was not getting it done when we were setting the machine in place. A dealer I used years ago had a very effective machinery rigging bar and I’ve looked for one for a long time. Several threads on PM really helped me find that sort of purpose built bar. Last week, at the recommendation of info I found there, I ordered two riggers nose bars from Eastern Rigging Supply- a flare toe 66” and a straight toe 72”. They arrived today. They both make easy work of nudging the lathe around and lifting it to place a bar or shim under it. These were bit cheap, especially when you include the freight cost. They are well worth it to me.

I have three machines that weigh over 2 tons, two of which are closer to 3 tons. This is the weight class of machines I’m enjoying having in the shop. It's crazy how easy it is to lift one end of the machine with the blue bars. Night and day difference. The blue bars are from Eastern Rigging Supply, the black bar is from Northern Tool.

2d2405d714547c9d50bb63de4d864d14.jpg

c93ef8d6e38f541addf965cca29ec9bc.jpg

I got this set of shop made machine skates off a guy on eBay. Very well done and I couldn’t make them for much less than he charges.

feee6c6bbddd40c440426421de3314a8.jpg

We knew my light/medium duty come along would ultimately fail when we were using it to move the lathe on the pipe. I found this high quality 3ton American made puller. It is much better suited for moving machinery around.

d62d9dd54d754ff32e7b3f53a8284ca0.jpg

I feel a lot better equipped to reposition the lathe and other equipment I hope to add to the shop in the future.

2 1/2”, 3” and 4” straight tail lathe dogs. These are cast iron & made in India by “Meda-Superior Import”. These are economy grade, by any standard.

The smaller sizes (e.g. 3/4”) have too short of a tail to reach the drive pin on my face plate. I need to make a few lathe dogs with a long tail.

0D5BC9BE-92B3-4320-A2DE-025CB1EA97B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Back