What Did You Buy Today?

The local scrap yard sells “stainless” (anything a magnet doesn’t stick to and isn’t aluminum) for $1/lb and anything ferrous for $0.40/lb. I got a lot of barstock from them. A little weather worn, and good in the middle. This is about 300 pounds of material to turn into scrap and chips.

The 3" bars are labelled 316L on the end. I suspect the rusty stuff is 4140. That's what they said at the scrap yard. It machines really nice!

10b2440eb759ce5ad0436d202ba9cd1d.jpg

The local scrap yard sells “stainless” (anything a magnet doesn’t stick to and isn’t aluminum) for $1/lb and anything ferrous for $0.40/lb. I got a lot of barstock from them. A little weather worn, and good in the middle. This is about 300 pounds of material to turn into scrap and chips.

The 3" bars are labelled 316L on the end. I suspect the rusty stuff is 4140. That's what they said at the scrap yard. It machines really nice!

10b2440eb759ce5ad0436d202ba9cd1d.jpg
No places around here do that.........

I don't know how to tell if it's actually 4140 or not. It does machine nice.

I didn't buy it today but I did get around to installing and using my new to me Wilton Bullet 4" vise today. Got it from a friend for $50 last Saturday. It wasn't froze up but was rusty. Tore it down and removed all the rust and paint. I repainted it and lubed up everything. I'm happy with the end result and plan to use this vise for the rest of my life.

Attachments

• 20210202_075202.jpg
    20210202_075202.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 27
  • 20210202_075154.jpg
    20210202_075154.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 28
Few eBay pickups. I had some eBay bucks that were expiring, so splurged on some new 10-24 spiral flute bottoming taps. I bought some Morse ones a while back but didn't notice that they were for tapping heli-coil holes for 10-24 threads. Now have the real deal.

20210205_091505.jpg

I don't know why, but my personal preference for micrometers is the old tumbler-style digitals. I can do the simple math of adding 25, 50 or 75 to the thimble number, but prefer the direct-reading number. Plus, no batteries to change though it would be nice to Zero at a target and mic the delta.

Anyway, I have 0-1" EZ-read Fowler screw pitch mic's at both lathes and had been looking for some 1"-2". Bought one for $80 delivered which included a 1" and 2" standard. Guess that'd be handy for zero'ing the mic if it happened to be closer to one end than the other.

I don't know the recommended process for setting these up, but here's my process. These mic's have locks on both the thimble and the anvil. I put the proper points in place (like 9-13 tpi) and turn the micrometer to 1.0000 (on a 1" - 2" model, 0.0000 on a 0-1"). Lock the thimble and unlock the anvil. Push the anvil back for clearance, set the standard in between the points, squeeze the anvil so it's hard into the standard and lock the anvil.

I tried turning this one to 0.0000 but it stopped travel at something like 0.125. So, pulled two small screws from the back to remove the cover and slip the counter off the mic. There's a brass gear on the thimble that engages with a gear in the read-out gear box. I manually spun it to 0.0000, backed off the thimble a turn or two so it could travel to under 1.0000, and slipped the gear box back on. Easy peasy: Zero the mic, lock the thimble, loosen the anvil lock level, set the 1" standard in place, squeeze the anvil and lock it down. Then it dawned on me that perhaps a 1"-2" mic should zero at 1.0000, not 0.0000. . . Simple math, but off came the read-out gear box, spun the gears to 1.0000 and reassembled. That gave me an upgrade for my Grizzly 14x40.

20210119_155604.jpg

20210123_101748.jpg
20210123_102123.jpg

Not wanting my Clausing 12"x24" to feel left out, I kept my eBay search for "Fowler screw micrometer". Another one popped up at a starting bid of $40 with free shipping. No standard in this one, but I already had an extra. I ended up being the only bidder for $40 delivered for the second one. No problems with the read-out gear box on the second one. My eBay search for "Fowler screw micrometer" is now officially off my eBay search list!

Thanks for looking, Bruce

20210205_091650.jpg
20210205_091829.jpg

Well, I came across a garage sale on CL yesterday and figured I would make a try. Ended up buying a Wright Safeway 1/2 ton chain hoist for $25, welding Vice Grips for $5 and a slag hammer for $1.
I have been wanting a chain hoist for some time. Would have preferred a 1 or even a 2 ton but for the money, I couldn't pass it up. All are in great condition.

Chain Hoist.jpg

I posted that I had won a set of Starrett Telescoping gages a little ways back and that they needed to be cleaned up from the surface rust. I had been watching Abom79 last year polishing on some metal that was a joint project with a polishing cloth called Miracle All Purpose Polishing Cloth. Catchy name don't you think. But I was impressed with what I saw so I ordered one from Amazon. Well I put it away and completely forgot about it until I was contemplating on what to use to clean up the gages. So I figured what do I have to loose. I did like Adam said and cut small pieces of the cloth to use on the gages. The cloth turns black as you use it. It is also very durable, which is something that I have not seen in too many of these products. The results, well all I can say is amazing! I will let you decide from the before and after pictures. I have also posted the link to Amazon for this.

Here is the before. Sorry this image was from the Ebay add. They actually looked worse than this when I received them, but never thought to take a new image.
1612621449215.png

And here is the final result. The total time to do all the telescoping gages and the small hole gage set was about 20 minutes. I figured it wasn't going to do much. But, well you be the judge.
Gages Cleaned.jpg

I will be ordering more of this. Good to have around and not expensive at all. I still have plenty of cloth left. Only negative thing I can say is the package is not resealable. But then I have zip lock bags that can correct that. Also, Adam had suggested you follow up with microfiber cloth to clean off the residue and create the final image. I didn't have any so used a paper towel instead. Wonder how they would have looked if I had used the microfiber?

Back