What Did You Buy Today?

Is it an original, or an aftermarket? I recall seeing aftermarket daubers in the distant past, sold by an outfit called Alisam. Yours doesn't look like the one Alisam sells, so it's probably original. Great score!

Is it an original, or an aftermarket? I recall seeing aftermarket daubers in the distant past, sold by an outfit called Alisam. Yours doesn't look like the one Alisam sells, so it's probably original. Great score!
That is the original one they are very rare there is only a few known

While ago before getting my first lathe, I snagged some deals on evilbay

Both USSR-made dials for total of $35 ( $55 with shipping ), one is 0.002 mm and other one is 0.01 mm with various tips of different lengths :IMG_20210303_205147.jpgIMG_20210303_205203.jpg

Old Fowler 250 mm / 10 inch height gauge with a missing scribe holder ( I am looking for the right one, suggest me one ) :
IMG_20210303_210242.jpgIMG_20210303_210248.jpgIMG_20210303_210341.jpg

Just bought a oil dauber for my tr 59 these are extremely rare and it will arrive soon here the picture from ebay
Sorry but I have never seen or heard about this device. Is it some kind of reservoir oiler or how do you use it?

On a lathe tailstock there is a hole on the backside for oil and you put the oil in then put that in

Sorry but I have never seen or heard about this device. Is it some kind of reservoir oiler or how do you use it?
On a lathe tailstock there is a hole on the backside for oil and you put the oil in then put that in

Back in the days when using a dead centre in the tailstock you needed to manage the friction. Many old tailstocks have an extra little hole that is really a reservoir and it is capped with a "dauber" to keep chips out of the lubricant and to apply it to the centre hole.

The lubricant used was typically a white lead paste.

Most daubers are long gone on used lathes......

-brino

Last edited:
Back