• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
[4]

What Did You Buy Today?

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

682bear

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Bear, I'm guessing u didn't buy them they were free, nice co worker.
No, he wanted $20 for all of them... I didn't try to talk him down...

I missed the weight by a fuzz... I put them on the scale... they came in at 46 pounds...

-Bear

GoceKU

Today i had some work in the area where the scrap yards are located, so i visited one, i was looking for round pieces to turn in the lathe but found only two small pieces, did bought couple of thick square pieces and two old CO2 extinguishers, they are empty, i may change the valve and use them for welding gas or even use the bottle for work piece if i need that size, it all came under 10 euros.
DSC_0004.JPG

GoceKU

Today i visited couple of tool and flea markets, did not found nothing special, bought usual shop supplies, carbide inserts, cutting oil, shop rags and managed to find those, fiat ball joints, OEM brand new, that i need for a future project, experience has taught me if you'll need something in the near future the first opportunity you can buy it is the best time to buy it.
DSC_0010.JPG

TomS

Active User
My new ER20 floating tap holder arrived in the mail yesterday. I also ordered a couple of collets: one for a 1/4" tap and one for a 3/8" tap. Once I get my mill spindle to reverse with a M4 command I can continue with making a mini pallet.

Floating Tap Holder.jpg

T Bredehoft

Active User
I haven't really studied this, but have found that No. 4, 5 and 6 taps all take the same driver, It is possible that other, larger size taps also come in groups, like maybe 1/4 and 5/16. something to find out about before buying tap driver collets.

TomS

Active User
I haven't really studied this, but have found that No. 4, 5 and 6 taps all take the same driver, It is possible that other, larger size taps also come in groups, like maybe 1/4 and 5/16. something to find out about before buying tap driver collets.
Thanks for the info. Following your lead I went internet hunting and found a tap chart that shows size 0 thru 6 are the same shank size. After that shank diameters are different for each size up to 1/2" which is the max size I plan on using. I need to compare tap shank sizes to ER20 collets to see what makes sense.

T Bredehoft

Active User
ER collets are pretty forgiving, they can be squeezed down at least a 32nd, maybe more. Well, one mm or nearly .040 thou.

Last edited:

Bamban

Active User
Did not buy it, had a few months, finally found someone who is smarter than me to figure how this jewel works, and recondition it. I bought all the parts that were badly worn out: bezel, crystal, arms, dials, the felt, and glue.

The gentleman did not want to be acknowledged publicly by name. He did a great job, it is as good as new. Did not have any pictures prior to rebuilding, but here are some pictures of the internal mechanish when it taken apart

My 1236 had one when I acquired it, got spoiled by it. For what I do I actually prefer this unit over a DRO. It is old school, but very effective amd accurate.

Now, I am torn whether to install it on the Jet 1024 or on the SBL 13.

travadial2.jpg
tad2.jpg
tad1.jpg
20171120_101903.jpg

I found a video of the TAD when I was checking it whether it would function at all. Short of posting the entire video, I just took a screenshot of the TAD. As you see, the gentleman who reconditioned it did one hell of a great job.

Screenshot_20171126-171938.png

Last edited:

T Bredehoft

Active User
We used trav-a-dial's during my apprenticeship, in the early 1970s. DROs, while they existed, were not mounted on our machines. One 4 inch spindle Kearney & Trecker horizontal mill had an early DRO, consisting of a myriad tiny glass tubes which lit up to show numbers. All the lathes had Trav-a-dials.

ACHiPo

Shars blackfriday sale (20% off--basically free shipping)
1511542350673.png 12" precision level
1511542368051.png 234 precision blocks
1511542380131.png 2MT Precision live center
1511542394375.png knurling clamp
1511542404857.png 123 precision blocks
1511542414516.png automatic center punch
1511542423672.png v-block clamps
1511542433017.png 4 1/2 x 3 1/2 slotted angle plate

coherent

I bought a harbor freight 4x6 bandsaw some years back. I didn't want to get a better one because I wasn't sure how often I'd really use it. After a few weeks, I sold my Dewalt abrasive cut off saw. Over the years I realized just how often it does get used and what an indispensable tool a horizontal bandsaw is... that in mind I sold the 4x6 on craigslist last week to the first guy who came to look at it and just upgraded/received a new Grizzly G0561 7x12. Boy what a difference in size and quality. It cuts beautifully! I like it!
g0561.jpg

f350ca

Active User
I went through the same steps but kept the abrasive saw. It comes in handy for hardened steels that would eat bandsaw blades.
The biggest advantage of the bigger saw is the coolant, makes blades last a lot longer, but is messy.

Greg

toploader

I bought the same saw initially, and the motor literally burst into flames. I use my 7 x 12 bandsaw a lot. Your grizzly looks a lot like my central machinery unit.

Silverbullet

I was bad and bought three items , six over size 5c collets with plenty of room to machine. A 6" x 1" carbide cutter with1" bore. $5.00 bid won it. And a casting from Mr Pete aka Tubalcain , to add a taper attachment to my logan. When he did his pour he added an extra well I made a comment about buying it . He said it's up for bids , I offered $25. And he said that sounded fair so I'm waiting it's delivery .

Cooter Brown

Thanks. Those boxes are stuffed with drills, end mills, chucking reamers, taps, gauge pins lathe tooling and lots of carbide.

GoceKU

Today i visited the tool market and did a lot of walking there were couple new vendors with machinist tools, there was lots of old tools in bad shape but did found and bought this filler set of calipers, some time back i bought inside set and now i found outside set also bought couple of pieces carbide inserts, i bought a new set of thick rubber gloves, i don't use gloves when running machines but for handling metal pieces is a must and i bought this cheap screwdriver set.
DSC_0034.JPG DSC_0026.JPG DSC_0025.JPG DSC_0023.JPG

BGHansen

I have an Atlas MFB little horizontal mill with a broken at the mounting ears power feed. I have one reoccurring parts job that's easiest to do on the horizontal, but I hate hand cranking. Especially on the conventional only cutting Atlas. Make a pass by cranking 50 times, drop the table, then crank like crazy back to the starting point.

So, fixing the broken Zamac box is on the project list, but near the bottom. Just whining here, but isn't it a bit annoying to see someone buy up a $1000 Atlas mill and then part it out for a total of about $4000? Sellers on eBay think the power feeds are worth $200 - $300. Guess they are if someone pays that, but I figure if mine broke, a replacement has a good chance of breaking too. One of these years I'll remake the gear box out of steel instead, but that'll be another thread or POTD.

Work around was spending a little over $500 from Eisen Machinery for a right angle head for my Bridgeport. The head, support and 1" arbor were $455 new plus a touch over $50 UPS delivered. It's one of the GEM Power units from Taiwan.

OK, initial impression is the packaging was very good. Not boxed, not double-boxed, but triple-boxed. Now the bad stuff. The arbor key is 6 mm, not 1/4" so there's about 0.014" slop with standard 1" / 1/4" keyed cutters on the arbor. Hopefully not a big deal as I'll do both climb and conventional cuts with this set up whereas the Atlas is conventional cutting only. The cutters will rotate a bit at the start of each pass and hammer the key.

I didn't shoot pictures of it, but I snapped my Bridgeport's draw bar tightening up the internal R8 arbor to the mill's spindle. I believe my draw bar was shop made by the previous mill owner (made from drill rod). It was flame-hardened at the bottom end and was threading a little hard (obviously) into the right angle head. Was using a spanner wrench in the right angle head to hold it from rotating as I was tightening the draw bar, then it got real easy to turn . . . Never had a problem with the draw bar going into collets, an ER-32 collet chuck or R8 drill chucks, so probably some crud in the treads of the right angle head.

So what to do with a broken off hardened 7/16" - 20 piece of drill rod in the R8 of the brand new right angle head? Went to the drill press with a 3/16" and 1/4" carbide end mill. Got a hole through the ~5/8" long chunk in the arbor and got it out with an EZ-out. I pulled the head apart and will say the miter gears look really stout. They are hypoid gears like rear differentials in cars/trucks which are the best for power transfer. The turn ratio is 3/4 or output shaft turning at 75% of the input shaft speed.

Making a new draw bar from CRS for now. I'll post a question about what material should be used in the Q&A forum. Single point threaded a piece of 7/16" CRS and went about 0.005" undersized on the pitch diameter. It threads well into the right angle head so hopefully no repeat issues. Lessons learned is if something isn't just falling together, maybe figure out why instead of pulling a little harder on the wrench . . .

The instructions for set up are pretty light. From the pictures (no verbiage as it's a globally sold unit), you tighten a set screw on the head which spreads the slip-on housing. Then tighten the draw bar to fully seat the head. Next, loosen the set screw and tighten a couple of cap screws. There's no explanation of set up for squaring the head to the table or aligning the arbor support.

I'll use an angle plate set sideways in my mill vise and tram it in. Then attach the arbor to the head and set it to the angle plate surface. For the support, I'll separate the two pieces and leave the attaching hardware out. Then set the lower half on the arbor and adjust the mill spindle up/down until I get contact between the two support pieces. Then turn the mill's spindle depth nut up as a hard stop so the spindle won't drop. Probably easier to post a thread with photos once I get through the process.

Anyway, here's what a touch over $500 gets you from Eisen Machinery. It's the best price I found for the 50 deg. dovetail support used for a Bridgeport and a lot cheaper than what some folks are asking on eBay for the identical unit (first two eBay links) for used ones. The rest of the eBay links are for genuine Bridgeport heads.

Bruce

https://eisenm.com/products/milling...izontal-milling-attachment-r8-w-support-arbor

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Enco-R...919217?hash=item41cd84fdb1:g:WRYAAOSwsCFZnIKe
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RIGHT-ANGL...777377?hash=item440d4abaa1:g:pUAAAOSwI9JZ1THU
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRIDGEPORT...100698?hash=item33db0884da:g:YZAAAOSwPK5ZiLui
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRIDGEPORT...101050?hash=item33db08863a:g:j~IAAOSw~XpZWS-N
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRIDGEPORT...464550?hash=item4b2d97b666:g:TnIAAOSwJQdXAorw
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bridgeport...479391?hash=item4406f4c01f:g:veAAAOSwopRYhhXy

20171125_114057.jpg

20171125_114157.jpg

20171125_115702.jpg

GoceKU

Today i visited an machinery seller, did not find a machine to buy but he had some tools for sale so i bought those two insert cutters, an left and right, made in germany (GDR) both look like they have had very little use, also bought this M20 machine tap, finding good quality spiral threading tap in good shape for good price is hard.
DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0010.JPG

[6]
[5] [7]