What Did You Buy Today?

I had an unfortunate incident recently. I completely forgot basic knife safety while opening some packaging and cut my thumb up really, really badly. This was bad, but I made it worse by panicking, running out of my shop where my first aid kit was, and accidently locked myself out. Thankfully, the cut wasn't bad enough to be dangerous, but what if?

I'm a very forgetful person, so I decided I needed to do something about it:
View attachment 359550
View attachment 359551
I bought a giant first aid kit that I can mount to the wall of my shop. It's super hard to miss, has everything I'd need to deal with the injuries I'm competent enough to deal with, and I can order refills when stuff expires.

Was this overkill? Yes. Was this overpriced? Also probably yes. Was it easier than making my own first aid kit? Absolutely. I'd rather spend the money for convenience and get the thing that could save my life right away.

(I'm also going to make it much harder to lock myself out of my shop.)
I actually have a plastic shoe-box by the door with gauze, bandages, and a couple of hand towels so that if...
When I sliced my finger up on the box fan it worked as intended.

I'm in trouble. Big, humongous trouble, with a capital 'T', more so than with the Surface Plates. :grin:
At an online auction today from a local estate sale company. Not organized real well if you know what I mean...
Out of their normal run-of-the-mill estate sale stuff.
Now then - how to inform the Better-Half that we're going to be busy on Saturday?...

OK, how the devil am I going to move this puppy?
And then what the heck do I get rid of in the shop to make room for it?
Might have to Flip it...
View attachment 359549

Old Starrett, just cause...
View attachment 359552

It's an Equipto, and the drawers are full of miscellany...
View attachment 359553

And the 'Starrett' table-full...
View attachment 359554

I am not sure if the ask for forgiveness over asking for permission is going to help you much. JK

Nice bandsaw. Would love to find one of those that is reasonably priced. Looks like you got a lot of nice tools there. Congrats.

My son got me this for Christmas from some internet site. It was supposed a internal threading tool but turned out to be a right hand turning tool, the price was $24 and return shipping was ??? so I kept it. the shank is 3/4", can i mill it down 1/8" to fit my QCTP?

Attachments

• IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 49
Yes. The tool holders are not hardened. I have cut them down to fit.
Robert

My son got me this for Christmas from some internet site. It was supposed a internal threading tool but turned out to be a right hand turning tool, the price was $24 and return shipping was ??? so I kept it. the shank is 3/4", can i mill it down 1/8" to fit my QCTP?
Test the hardness with a file before you wreck a good HSS end mill. I wouldn't be surprised if the tool holder was case hardened.

I noticed it's a negative rake holder. Do you normally use negative rake tooling?

Test the hardness with a file before you wreck a good HSS end mill. I wouldn't be surprised if the tool holder was case hardened.

I noticed it's a negative rake holder. Do you normally use negative rake tooling?
No to the negative rake, as I said, it was supposed to be a threading tool, as long as I have it I want to try and use it, I'll polish off any case hardening with a grinder, any advice about what to use it on will be appreciated. I was thinking about building a big fly cutter.

I didn't have an ER32 collet chuck for my new R8 spindle mill. I didn't like certain things about the cheap import MT3 one I have for my G8689, so I decided to splurge a bit. I bought this Iscar collet chuck off of MSC and holy crap, this is a beautifully made piece of kit! Everything is smooth and totally free of burrs. I can't wait for my thumb to heal up so I can go out and try this thing. I'm really interested to see what kind of runout I get.

PXL_20210320_001107625~2.jpg

I'm attaching the remaining pictures rather than embedding them.

Also, apparently this supports through coolant? I doubt I'll ever use that, but it's cool.

Attachments

• PXL_20210320_001150825~2.jpg
    PXL_20210320_001150825~2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20210320_001144504~2.jpg
    PXL_20210320_001144504~2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20210320_001117828~2.jpg
    PXL_20210320_001117828~2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
No to the negative rake, as I said, it was supposed to be a threading tool, as long as I have it I want to try and use it, I'll polish off any case hardening with a grinder, any advice about what to use it on will be appreciated. I was thinking about building a big fly cutter.

I don't know what type of machines you have or your experience level, so . . .
I think negative rake tooling is usually used on full industrial machines because they require more rigid support and horsepower than positive (or neutral) rake tooling. I just didn't want you to go thru the exercise of modifying it and end up with poor performance. YMMV.

Back