What Did You Buy Today?

I see that vtcnc already started a thread on this listing.
I'm terrible at searching the site and can't find the post. I'm quite interested because my Colchester lathe uses L00. I've seen good stuff on ebay, but the prices have kept me from pulling the trigger. Thanks

I'm terrible at searching the site and can't find the post. I'm quite interested because my Colchester lathe uses L00. I've seen good stuff on ebay, but the prices have kept me from pulling the trigger. Thanks
Sorry, I bought all of the L00 stuff, except for a 15" faceplate.

Karl Marx was a brilliant economist who spent his life trying to describe how economy works in a world with new technology. His descriptions tend to be concise, scientific, and able to pass the rigor and scrutiny of his peers. He was also puzzled by the phenomenon that you are pondering, and lays it out fairly early in his book, Capital. If all of the instruments work the same and are of the same quality, how does one account for the difference in value? Why is this difference in value variable from one person to the next, and why does it exist in the broader picture? He decided it must be something in each person that drives it, some sort of irrational peculiarity about (in this case) the brand name associated with it. He decides it's fetishistic, an attraction that an individual has to something that isn't explained by any real-world property. The term he uses for that difference in price, beyond the physical value, is fetish value. So, Mitutoyo and B&S, et. al. have a higher fetish value than Federal.

I'm sorta guilty of that with my instruments. I view Starrett as nicely made, but uninteresting and available by the truckload. I prize European quality, like Sühl and Tesa. For me, the fetish value applied to the Euro gauges is easily 20% over the top of the equivalent Starrett. The next guy to read this might think differently. You really gotta hand it to Marx for wrapping his head around it so that difference in value can be accounted for. Something to think about next time you get outbid on eBay!

Now I gotta go freshen up on Marx.

I ordered a Tool-Flo FLSR-62 tool holder and some 3mm radius carbide inserts from a local place in December for a project. I got the inserts a couple of months ago, but I hadn't heard anything about the tool holder. I need the tool now, so I called them up yesterday asking for a status update. They saw that the order had been sitting for months and immediately apologized and offered to overnight a holder to me. I accepted, and I got the new holder at 8 AM the next day. I should have called earlier!

Here's the tool holder (not that exciting):
PXL_20210413_161422166.jpg

(This is the project, btw. I've already posted about it in a different thread, so I won't go into any details here:
)

I didn't get an endmill with 1.5" LOC, at least so far today. UPS says they delivered it this morning. Since I was home at the alleged delivery time, and my office has a direct view of the front entrance, I can say it was NOT delivered at the time they stated. I can see (and hear) the truck from the window (if it is there...). Hoping it is just a misdelivery rather than a fat-finger job. Have contacted the seller. I walked around the house looking at all the doorways and any weird place that the driver could have put the small package but no luck.

What makes it odd was there was no notification of an upcoming delivery, which I usually get. Today, I have some other stuff from McMaster coming - I got notification of delivery for that. Seller's listing was for FedEx delivery, but shipped UPS? Tracking number is a UPS and UPS "claims" delivery to my front door. My office on the second floor is right over the front door, I'd be surprised if I could miss a delivery. There's a picket fence gate in the front with a cannon ball closer (ala Williamsburg, VA) the sound is quite distinct, it's hard to miss... Oh well, got to wait it out... At least I'll get my stuff from McMaster - they are as reliable as daylight.

Supplier got back to me. Mis-delivered to someone else. The supplier was contacted by the mis-deliveree. Hope to get it soon.

This house has been here since 1851. And today UPS couldn't find it? Yesterday they found the house, and last week...

Edit: All has ended well, my neighbor has delivered the box to me. UPS sent it to the correct address on the label. Somehow the supplier used the wrong address? Don't know how that happened, but that's probably the reason for the lack of UPS notification. Mystery solved.
5 Flute 3/8 x 3/8 x 1-1/2 x 4 carbide end mill AlTiN coated.
PXL_20210413_191759053.jpg

Last edited:
Back