What Did You Buy Today?

Well…. Do not have a lathe… but got a Starrett 98-6 level…. In preparation for getting one…
I have been doing primitive model building from childhood, as in age 10 or 11. I didn't get a lathe of my own until I had enlisted and went to sea in '68. My first machine was a UniMat DB-200. Small so I could stash it in the elect. shop on the ship. Admitedly, I did have access to a full size machine, although I wasn't allowed to actually run it. Just touch it as long as I wiped my fingerprints off.

In any case, as a teenager, I did have access to basic "home owner" tooling. I took my Pop's 3/8 (I think) drill and chucked it up in a vise. A true vise, although low end (very low end) It was of cast iron like a machinist's vise. Taping the trigger down and plugged into a switched outlet. For tooling, I used mostly (rusty, broken) files and a couple of homemade gouges. Not much of even a wannabe lathe, but it was in the days when I was making switches with a piece of hack saw blade and a couple of machine screws. I thought it was quite a machine. FWIW, I only tried line voltage switching the one time. The rest were low voltage. . .

As time passed, a neighbor did allow me to touch his machine. I don't know what it actually was, but in the '60s and looking back was probably the Sears version of the 618 Atlas. Most times, I was allowed to do basic setups and then he would make the cut. It was here I learned about 4 jaw chucks and how to center them. Then, I got a driver's license and started chasing girls and other "grown man" doings and machining fell way down the priority list. Then I turned 15 and we moved south from Virginia to Alabama, when I essentially had to start all over in everything.

I apologize for the personal history lesson, but it does apply to what I am trying to convey. Being a beginning machinist (a novice) is as much a state of mind as it is having the proper machines. I wasn't trying to be a novice machinist, I wanted to make parts for my models. Parts that I could have bought if there had been any loose money. But times were slim at the time and I could only make them or do without. Doing without wasn't an option, this was my hobby obsession. And I did make a few things to help out with the house, seldom noticed.

Hey that's great. I was going to make a set but I have so much to do I thought I would just buy it. $68 shipped.
Thanks for the idea-reference.
I've got dies to 2" diameter so planned on making an additional holder to cover all my bases.

Did you get the tank ownership papers with them?

I haven't picked up yet. I will ask. If I don't get them, are my options just to buy new? I am aware tanks can be an issue.

The auction description should indicate whether the tanks come with them or not. They often don't.
If I remember correctly my tanks were marked indicating they were purchased and not owned by the gas company. But for the life of me, can't remember the markings.

Never had any paperwork indicating that I owned them. They could tell by looking at the stamp and exchanged the tank for another User Owned type of tank.

Last edited:
In some areas (states), it's assumed that you own the tanks. I'd bought tanks in Oregon, moved to Arizona, and had no trouble exchanging them at a local wekding supply store. No idea what things are like in Maryland, but I do wish you luck.

Couple of little things yesterday. Got a couple of dial indicator tips, a standard and a button head for my old Federal C21 dial indicator. Also a fuller thread pitch gauge. Was always annoyed that I couldn't measure relatively common threads with the thread gauge I had. This one goes from 4-84 pitch. Should be set for most imperial threads. There are 51 pitches. On the back side it tells you the range of each pivot.
PXL_20210729_193634137.jpgPXL_20210729_193712291.jpgPXL_20210729_194424567.jpg

I was looking for a small accurate drill press. Kajiji came up with this from a local optical lab that had closed down.

This is used to drill holes in rimless eyeglass lenses. If you wanted to replace it with the latest model your looking at $1990

1627646169825.png

Back