What Did You Buy Today?

I bought this Fowler edge finder:
1632259106707.png

However, as far as I can tell it has no provision for overtravel. If I pass zero by 10-20 thou it looks like I would permanently damage (bend) the tip. I think it is going back unless I am missing something?

Robert

I bought this Fowler edge finder:
View attachment 379222

However, as far as I can tell it has no provision for overtravel. If I pass zero by 10-20 thou it looks like I would permanently damage (bend) the tip. I think it is going back unless I am missing something?

Robert
yea, that wouldn't last long. I like the idea, but over and over I see utubers that complain about it not being accurate after a couple of bumps.

Yeah, I know. She struggles with math, but let's me do anything I want in my shop including filling it with expensive tools :)
I know nobody is going to believe this but I use the size of my shop to keep my TAS to a dull roar and I catch her looking at houses with a big shop. I think it’s a two pronged approach where she can try and sucker me into a different house through a bigger shop. But it won’t work, too much $$, way too much work, and way too late in the game. She’s only 2yrs off from retiring and paying off the house. No place does the math work out. And when I point out she’d have to put off her retirement(in most cases indefinitely!) reality sinks in.

We visited my wife’s best friend who moved to the upper peninsula of MI last month. And she fell in love with (me too) where they live on the shore of Lake Superior. Absolutely beautiful. She started looking at real estate and there was a place inland with 3ac, older nice 2bdrm 2ba house with a 30x70 steel building and a barn. The building was FULL of automotive tools/equipment that went with it. All except the backhoe……$265k. I just had to remind my best half why she left Massachusetts, WINTER. nuf said.

I know nobody is going to believe this but I use the size of my shop to keep my TAS to a dull roar and I catch her looking at houses with a big shop. I think it’s a two pronged approach where she can try and sucker me into a different house through a bigger shop. But it won’t work, too much $$, way too much work, and way too late in the game. She’s only 2yrs off from retiring and paying off the house. No place does the math work out. And when I point out she’d have to put off her retirement(in most cases indefinitely!) reality sinks in.

We visited my wife’s best friend who moved to the upper peninsula of MI last month. And she fell in love with (me too) where they live on the shore of Lake Superior. Absolutely beautiful. She started looking at real estate and there was a place inland with 3ac, older nice 2bdrm 2ba house with a 30x70 steel building and a barn. The building was FULL of automotive tools/equipment that went with it. All except the backhoe……$265k. I just had to remind my best half why she left Massachusetts, WINTER. nuf said.
What's wrong with winter? it's a great time to lock yourself into your shop, go skiing, go play with your dog in the snow.
I like all the season, but summer is usually too hot and humid lately.

What's wrong with winter? it's a great time to lock yourself into your shop, go skiing, go play with your dog in the snow.
I would tend to agree, with the right setup. But I’ve never lived where there is snow for months. Living here I’ve turned into a temp wimp. When I lived in the Central Valley from May to October was all the same, sunny and HOT. My old buddies in the valley say there has been like 90 days over 100f. Homey cant do dat no mo.

But it won’t work, too much $$, way too much work, and way too late in the game. She’s only 2yrs off from retiring and paying off the house. No place does the math work out. And when I point out she’d have to put off her retirement(in most cases indefinitely!) reality sinks in.
It's very tempting, we've been thinking about finding more space. The home we are in is fine, the shop is the garage. It's fine.
Every time I think about the $200-$300,000 more it would cost, let's just say I start sweating.
We would have to leave the state, leave our kids and grand kids. Not going to do it.
Debt free is very nice and we see the boys on a regular basis.

I found a way to get my wife to let me buy a few more tools... I should have thought of this a long time ago...

I was playing doing lines... but will make another one without them.. This was the first actual project with the lathe...

IMG_2347.jpeg

On the other end...

IMG_2346.jpeg

IMG_2348.jpeg

Went ahead and ordered some steel design stamps, some additional end mills, the LED magnifying lamp for the lathe, anchorlube, thread pitch gauge tools (Metric America, Imperial, and America type), and an Emergency Stop Switch and inexpensive tachometer for the HF 9x20 lathe... :D

I had to explain to my wife, if I take social security when you want me to at 65 and 6 months vs. 65, the difference is $54 a month.
I'll be missing out on $16,200 to earn $54 more per month.
Yeah, I know. She struggles with math, but let's me do anything I want in my shop including filling it with expensive tools :)

You and me C-Bag, we got lucky man.

16,200 / 54 = 300 or 25 years............ Is that right??????

We only get seriously cold January and February. 30's, sometimes in the 20's. Even that is too long. Sell my company someday and I'm gone to Florida.

I made an impractical CL purchase today, but it was just too cool to pass up, especially for $300. The seller was a retired machine builder and had a nice machine shop. Fortunately, this was the only thing he was willing to part with. It's a Starrett 20-36 Master Precision Square. The edges are sharp and there is no evidence it has ever been dropped or otherwise abused. It's as true to square as I could measure, but I don't have the ability to ensure it meet's Starrett's accuracy of .0001" every 6" without sending to them for calibration. I don't know the weight, but I'd estimate it be be around 30lbs. It'll do as is!
IMG_9025.jpgIMG_9026.jpg

Back