What Did You Buy Today?

Thanks JFF, the thing is most of these meters nowadays have too many functions, choosing one that reads AC/DC (V/A) as well as temperature was the reason for buying this one (although they all more or less claim the same features ), I couldn't go for anything cheaper than this.

I've seen a few (cricut) show up on freecycle around here. I would think it could be valuable for making labels, and masks for etching. If you wanted to bead blast dials with markings , art works, your makers mark... etc.

I have not seen one in use, or watched a video yet, but plan to.. that way I know more.

I've seen a few (cricut) show up on freecycle around here. I would think it could be valuable for making labels, and masks for etching. If you wanted to bead blast dials with markings , art works, your makers mark... etc.

I have not seen one in use, or watched a video yet, but plan to.. that way I know more.

Some modelers use them to make stencils so they can paint markings on instead of using decals. They can do some fairly fine detail so pretty handy for a lot of things. My wife and I bought a Silhouette Cameo which is a similar machine although I haven't done much with it yet.

Got a bit of a rude awakening yesterday. Somewhere yet to be determined I misplaced my Starrett 6" rule. I looked in all the obvious places to no avail, so I decided it was time to bite the bullet and buy another. I went online, priced them at half a dozen different vendors, and was shocked to say the least.

Here's a link to the model C604RE-6 I prefer at McMaster:

The last time I bought one was probably 20 years ago. For years the company I worked for handed them out free to staff engineers, and as promotional gifts to mechanics and technicians. They stopped the practice when Starrett raised the price to $6.00 a unit. They switched to Mitutoyo brand which were still available for $3.00 a unit.

Well today they cost $31.50 each. I guess I should be a little more careful as to where I lay it down. However, if it's like most "lost" tools it will miraculously reappear within minutes of the delivery time of the new one.

Got a bit of a rude awakening yesterday. Somewhere yet to be determined I misplaced my Starrett 6" rule. I looked in all the obvious places to no avail, so I decided it was time to bite the bullet and buy another. I went online, priced them at half a dozen different vendors, and was shocked to say the least.

Here's a link to the model C604RE-6 I prefer at McMaster:

The last time I bought one was probably 20 years ago. For years the company I worked for handed them out free to staff engineers, and as promotional gifts to mechanics and technicians. They stopped the practice when Starrett raised the price to $6.00 a unit. They switched to Mitutoyo brand which were still available for $3.00 a unit.

Well today they cost $31.50 each. I guess I should be a little more careful as to where I lay it down. However, if it's like most "lost" tools it will miraculously reappear within minutes of the delivery time of the new one.
Ouch. For what it's worth, Mit scales are relatively inexpensive. Bought one a year ago for under $14. Not a Starrett, but pretty nice. Mm on one side and 0.1 + 0.01 inch on the other.

Back