What Did You Buy Today?

people need to stop putting stuff on FB Marketplace........
It is a rabbit hole.....

Last edited:
people need to stop putting stuff on FB Marketplace........
It is a rabbit hole.....
So Ebay asked for my tax ID before I could put anything else on their site . BS , I've gone over to FB Marketplace with great luck . :encourage:

One of the "junkers" I drove in the '70s was a Pontaic station wagon. It had a 455 engine and a two barrel carb. Thirsty around town, but on the road (at ~80 MPH) it got exceptionally good mileage. I think a '72 model, just before EPA grew teeth.

I have a 780 holley on my pickup. I use it ONLY for towing my big trailer and haven't moved it since june fo 2018. When I'm towing it I use all the 454 can give me. Had a older 650 on it before and it took a dump and threw the 780 off my old chevelle drag car and what a difference,

But thinking I may keep the manifold/carb. I've got a old skool 350 thats fresh and a set of ported heads for it. If I find a car for decent money I could drop the engine in and flip it. But, knowing me I'd keep it. I'm a packrat my wife tells me. Yes I kept my cat40 tooling for 20 years, then then at 21 years I bought a vmc that uses cat 40. She didn't say much when I told her about that. Also kept my 5 and 16c collet closers from my old turning center, and now have another turning center. Wife didn't think much about that either.

Last edited:
After I brought in a knee mill & organized my garage to the best of my ability, I still had 5 heavy totes & 6 smallish boxes that are both (1) not on wheels, and (2) in the way of machining & welding.

I usually carry *all* these out to the side yard before working in the shop. This takes time & I was feeling it in my back just a little.

I bought the 72” high rolling cart, 2 extra shelves & 5” high casters (which add 6” to the height of shelves) shown below in order to just roll the whole shebang out in one shot.

Note that the max height to fit through the man door is 80”, so I only left 2” clearance. This means that nothing can go on the top shelf.

Anything that cannot fit on this rolling shelf will be purged!

Links:

E1B7B36C-1D95-410B-ADD7-A93B1FB0752A.png

6A786868-5F97-42CE-A143-AA7FAF16FDC1.png

Last edited:
One of those deals where waiting and watching pays off. $30 bux, plus some shipping. It doesnt rate a "You Suck", I have some work still to do to make it fit. But for under $50 bux total, I got plenty of patience. Good heavy iron, not some import flimsey toy. I suspect a little old fashioned, it doesn't open up, and the screws need to be refitted for length. But to fit the Atlas, all it needs is a flat bottom plate. I have a steady for the small machine that has been refitted with small roller bearings. Now I got one for the big machine. It is 5 inches from the top of the clearance, 6 inches to the bottom ov the "V" ways. A perfect fit for a Craftsman/Atlas 12 inch machine.
View attachment 404966
If that steady is 5" across the base it looks like it is for a Hardinge HLV, and they sell for pretty good money

I bought an R8 1” end mill holder:

and an R8 slitting saw arbor:

and 2 slitting saws for the arbor above:

*BUT* I made a huge mistake, & bought the above items from an independent tool dealer before *shopping around first*. In addition to this, the independent tool dealer charged *me* 4% for using a debit card (which is a VISA card). Huge ripoff!

I emailed the independent dealer, and asked him to cancel. If he doesn’t cancel, I will refuse the order and dispute the charge with my credit card company. I’m going to calculate now how much I overpaid by not shopping around first.

Edit: I overpaid by $123.06.

What would you guys do in this situation? He charged my credit card on a Saturday at noon, & I sent him an email to cancel the order 12 hours later.

Lesson learned:
*Rather than trusting somebody, shop around before giving them your hard earned money.*

Never again!

Last edited:
@erikmannie

I think you're doing the right thing. If the supplier doesn't reply or says it's already shipped, refuse delivery and dispute the charge with your bank. I don't know how it works with Debit cards. Ask the bank if the 4% charge is within the law/rules. I think you'll have better luck focusing on the 4%, rather than buyers remorse.

Always shop around, unless it's not worth your time.

Back