What Did You Buy Today?

What is the big heavy plate going to be used for?
The 1” plates are two halves of a yet to be beveled weld test plate.

The 3/4” plate bolted to the milling machine table will house a CXA toolpost. This toolpost holds a Sky Hook toolpost crane that hoists the milling machine vise.

The 3/8” plates are for the base of an outdoor welding fixture stand that gets bolted to the concrete.

A couple of things arrived today, only one of which I ordered. The first item was an over under reamer set 1/8-1/2". Hope to use them for my kitchen cabinet project. Got them from CME. Hope they are ok.
View attachment 410076
The second item, which I didn't order, but showed up today anyways was a very gracious donation by an anonymous HM member. I know the member's name, but this person wishes to remain anonymous. That's ok. My only requirement is to pass it forward (do a good deed for others) when the time arises. I have accepted this requirement. I can say I am tickled pink about receiving this, in more ways than one. Not just getting this item, but the confidence and generosity of the donor is humbling. Anyways, here is a picture of my newly de-crated 3 ton arbor press. Looks like an initial project will be making a stand. Need to make it sturdy enough not to tip over in use. Anyways, woohoo! Wow! Still pinching myself, something like this has never happened to me!
View attachment 410078
Very nice that one of our members donated that. Very cool.

You have an arbor stand? Is there anything you don't have squirreled away? Space perhaps :grin:
Matter of fact . I do have a stand , as well as the press now . :grin: I'll drag the stand home tomorrow and use it as a coffee table next to the firepit . Solid stainless . :encourage:

Matter of fact . I do have a stand , as well as the press now . :grin: I'll drag the stand home tomorrow and use it as a coffee table next to the firepit . Solid stainless . :encourage:
Seems like a waste of an arbor press stand, but very cool that it's stainless. If it's surplus to your needs let me know, I'll come and get it. Was the stand made from left over materials from a job?

Seems like a waste of an arbor press stand, but very cool that it's stainless. If it's surplus to your needs let me know, I'll come and get it. Was the stand made from left over materials from a job?
This was a stand made for the arbor press . It is stainless . It has a scrap value but it's not on my target list . I'll grab it if I have room on the trailer . :) FWIW . 10 of 1000s of $$$$$$ are being scrapped out . Material racks fill the warehouse and all will go into the dumpsters . It's a major waste but we can only do so much . My plant can't handle any more machines , racks , cabinets etc , either can my basements or garage . I buy what I can move and store . The money is going towards a company party after the move is completed .

An ebay find...

20220617_092601.jpg

...an Enco boring/ facing head with a 1 inch straight arbor and an R8 arbor. It was listed 'for parts' because the seller didn't have any way to test it for function.

I took a chance on it... and it seems to be in good condition. Everything works very smoothly, and it advances 0.005" per revolution. I don't know if the advance is adjustable or not... I doubt it.

I've used the Criterion boring/ facing heads a good bit at work, they are not adjustable for the advance... I've also used a big one, I think it was a Wolhaupter, maybe 9" diameter... it was adjustable.

-Bear

I was watching this head on the bay just for a comparison . :)

Back