What Did You Buy Today?

That was my name lol
Material is 3” 1018
Price per inch was much lower. Listed price is actually including the cutting labor

Just a quick dirty receipt I think :encourage:

I’m not sure how this pricing compares, but I chose the 3” 1018 because the 3-1/2” 1045 was 3 times the price!?!

He was charging me purchased price. Material cost has been…. fickle? The 3” was purchased at a better cost.

Anyway, my sourcing for stock is extremely limited in my area unless I want to drive 1 to 2 hours

Besides! Super nice guy! We talked for over an hour and he took me on a tour of the whole shop! (it was after hours)

<edit>
I just took calipers to one. Varies between 3.050”- 3.040”. No way I would have accomplished that with my equipment…
Cut surface finish is way better too!

I just did the same thing. My mounting feet threads are 24mm fine bolts, and I bought some affordable biscuits of 10L14 for a few bucks apiece. This method cost about 15 dollars per foot times eight, which is at least five fold cheaper than sourcing a rare thread oversize turn-key leveling pad.

PXL_20220916_024031497.jpg
PXL_20220916_200715019.jpg

Excepting for those big ole cracks, Dang!
View attachment 422552

Have you got a repair strategy for those, or is this just a "gentle use" or "looking at" vise?

Brian
Papa Charlie suggested brazing but since this thing is not cast iron, it could be welded. As you suggest it will probably be gentle use if I even keep it.

I just did the same thing. My mounting feet threads are 24mm fine bolts, and I bought some affordable biscuits of 10L14 for a few bucks apiece. This method cost about 15 dollars per foot times eight, which is at least five fold cheaper than sourcing a rare thread oversize turn-key leveling pad.

View attachment 422599
View attachment 422601
Nice, did you put the bevel and hole in them yourself. How will they support the bolt face. Those should displace the weight really well and those fine threaded bolts should make small adjustments very easy.

I went down to my hydraulic cylinder repair shop and they gave me several pieces of 3.5" diameter cylinder rods for, well I paid $20 for almost 5 feet of it, but they really only asked me to give them coffee money and didn't specify a value. I do still have to cut them into the discs I need but no hurry as the lathe is still in storage. But I am ready for it.

View attachment 422599
View attachment 422601
I visit my junk yard regularly and find 3”-4” solid round stock all the time and made these for my little monarch just haven’t put them under it yet because I am in the process of tearing my shop down and building it back the junk yard Is always worth a trip

Attachments

• 0347FFE7-1820-48C8-BEF5-36F27E2C5EA0.jpeg
    0347FFE7-1820-48C8-BEF5-36F27E2C5EA0.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 19
I've been looking for one of these for some time now. It's a Luma electro-etcher whatsit. They are not hard to locate in a condition that indicates they were found in an abandoned barn and spent the time being used as a packrat midden. I got this one new old stock for less than ones listed as having been magnet fished out of the river by the overpass that leads to the landfill. Score!

It's a purely manual machine. I grind my tools, so now I can label them. I have a gajillion hand tools to write my name on so that they are guaranteed to get less on eBay after I leave this world for good. I can leave notes or bad poetry hidden under things like valve covers, to be discovered like a message in a bottle. If it works on brass, I can finally write all those people's names on bullets (so that I can remember them later). Ha ha, just kidding, I'm not at risk for falling down. Violence must be bad because it makes other people frown. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

PXL_20221008_165001832.jpg

Back