What Did You Buy Today?

Picked up a pretty stout fly cutter by Suburban tool. It has a one inch square cutter holder. I still need to fiddle with speeds and feeds but here is a piece of D2 cut .005 deep, 600 rpm, 3 IPM. The D2 was less than half the diameter of the cutter which wasn’t optimal but the finish looks promising.
I first tried .005 deep and followed with a spring pass, but not surprising, the carbide didn’t do well on the spring pass.

Attachments

• 4304F5BE-3868-4470-8102-E2BB37418519.jpeg
    4304F5BE-3868-4470-8102-E2BB37418519.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 55
Picked up a little trailer for my ATV, I need to remove the top and deck, basically get rid of all the old wood and rebuild from there. But what the heck $25 bucks I couldn't go wrong.

View attachment 422893

View attachment 422894
Maybe consider some atv rims and tires if you plan to have it follow an atv.

I bought the same trailer base (used) a while ago. I lived with the trailer tires for a while, then swapped on a set of ATV rims and tires. The trailer tires were usable on hard surfaces, but sunk horribly on anything close to soft ground. I finally ended up chucking the springs, welding axle stubs directly to the frame and dropping on some 23” garden tractor tires.

The tractor tires (turf savers) were the best upgrade. Lots of floatation on soft surfaces and despite the welded on stubs, it “bounces” less than when it had the leaf springs.

With the springs it would hit a bump and bounce, then bounce a few more times as the springs settled. With welded stubs, it hit a bump and bounces, but without the leaf springs it settles down much quicker. The initial “hit“ was harder without the springs, but without the springs it didn’t continue to bounce and toss more and more stuff overboard like it would with the springs. YMMV…

Last edited:
Picked up a pretty stout fly cutter by Suburban tool. It has a one inch square cutter holder. I still need to fiddle with speeds and feeds but here is a piece of D2 cut .005 deep, 600 rpm, 3 IPM. The D2 was less than half the diameter of the cutter which wasn’t optimal but the finish looks promising.
I first tried .005 deep and followed with a spring pass, but not surprising, the carbide didn’t do well on the spring pass.

I would say more than "promising" when you can read the reflection of the lettering on the tool holder.

Interesting orientation of the insert, but the near vertical outside edge is close to what your get when using a LH brazed tool. That, with the 1" shank and minimal stick-out really gives you a rigid setup.

Papa Charlie suggested brazing but since this thing is not cast iron, it could be welded. As you suggest it will probably be gentle use if I even keep it.
Yeah, most post vises are some kind of steel and can be welded. I've had many dozens of post vises and I think yours has seen a number of modifications over the years. For example, the mounting bracket and hardware are much newer than the rest of the vise (hex bolts are a giveaway). Still, I'd weld up the cracks and, clean it up and put it back in service. You might find manufacturers stamps once you get it cleaned up. Some were on the face but many were on the flats of the sides slightly below the screw...worth a look just for curiosity's sake.

My advice is to control your vise vice............

Yes, good advice for sure....it doesn't take long to get out of control!

I stopped counting vises at 300 and anvils at 100....I finally decided it was getting ridiculous and sold most of both. I have about half a dozen of each left. That paid for most of my machinery. My BP, drill press and lathes occupy the spaces pictured below.

IMG_3897.JPGIMG_5079.jpg

Back