What do you call this type of spanner wrench?

I guess I have a problem with ME, I have 3 Hand Drills, one DeWalt, one Craftsman, one Harbor Fright, and one chuck for my Mill Drill, all keyless. All of the do not hold a drill bit tight enough to prevent them from spinning when drilling a hole of any size. Matter of fact all of my chuck keys are bent because I need to use a crescent wrench handle to tighten them enough to drill a hole. Of course, if the drill bit has flats extra help is not required. I guess I'm just not man enough to tighten them without help.

fixit
I think many of you don't sharpen the bit correctly. Either you are requiring so much force because it doesn't cut it rubs, OR its not the correct geometry and it's digging in without a proper landing behind it to prevent it from diving in . If you don't have the proper rake behind the cutter it may be trying to dig in too deep. It's the proper balance of cut and support to the cut.

There is no wrench for that particular hole.... But it's an easy (cheap) to make feature that would kind of universally work with a pin spanner, and probably work with most hook spanners of an appropriate size. But it's not standard. I'd hold out for the pin type, but if the dimensions are gonna fit... Either will do what you need.
nonsense. A pin spanner or adjustable pin spanner is the wrench for that hole.

I think many of you don't sharpen the bit correctly. Either you are requiring so much force because it doesn't cut it rubs, OR its not the correct geometry and it's digging in without a proper landing behind it to prevent it from diving in . If you don't have the proper rake behind the cutter it may be trying to dig in too deep. It's the proper balance of cut and support to the cut.
Nicely said and a key point to longevity.

I bought a brand new set of HSS drills on evil bay . First not what was stated in the auction but most importantly when I went to use them, something looked off but didn't give it a second thought.
I am trying to drill a hole. Something I have spent my life doing and I believe I am pretty good at. I inspected the drill when it wouldn't cut.......the drill were unfinished! There wasn't ANY relief.
Somewhere I saved one...as no one would ever believe it.
Other than grinding them the metal was good and the name was a USA brand.
I hate to admit to that one as I always inspect the tip before use, just out of habit.

On Saturday, I took an unused chinese bit out of an index, chucked it up, and proceeded to friction burn my way through the aluminum work piece. Ugly! I checked, no relief! the axis was off, and the drill had a curved profile instead of a cone. I performed steps 1-3 in the drill doctor, and in under a minute I was done.

The moral of the story is china has no quality control, it's up to the end user to spot a bad tool. But I saved money by buying cheep bits...:face slap:

I bought a brand new set of HSS drills on evil bay . First not what was stated in the auction but most importantly when I went to use them, something looked off but didn't give it a second thought.
I am trying to drill a hole. Something I have spent my life doing and I believe I am pretty good at. I inspected the drill when it wouldn't cut.......the drill were unfinished! There wasn't ANY relief.
Somewhere I saved one...as no one would ever believe it.
Other than grinding them the metal was good and the name was a USA brand.
I hate to admit to that one as I always inspect the tip before use, just out of habit.
same here, I had a made in USA bit and it had the relief backwards. it was higher and would not cut. I was embarrassed as it was NOS... made in USA does not always guarantee quality.

Back