What do you call this type of spanner wrench?

After looking at the photo again, I think the workholding is also working against you. You’ve got very short line contact against the jaws. Even a tiny bit of grab and the part will twist in the vise, making it worse.

A fixture of some sort would likely help. At the very least, a vee block against the movable jaw (just a piece of scrap with a notch suffices).

Could have grabbed with the vise and tilted the head .

I tried tilting the head but needed 60* and I didn’t have enough z axis to reach. The drill job has been completed. I just have to drill for a pin on the back and a spring pin on the side. Yes @mmcmdl it’s the quill feed. It’s been a fun little project. I don’t like to plan stuff unless I have to so it’s been kind of plan as I go.

Sorry I couldn't get that tooling out before I left but I had tons of stuff to do before leaving . I'll get back on it early next month when I get home . :grin:

Pin spanner to mount the chuck itself
The hole for the spanner are on the knurled collar and wouldn't be used to mount the chuck. Doing so could very well destroy the chuck by over tightening. All of my recent keyless chucks have spanner holes. While some descriptions state they are used for tightening, I would guess that their primary function is to facilitate loosening and over tightened chuck.

In a keyless chuck, the jaws rotate with the knurled collar so an increase in torque will tend to tighten the tool in the jaws in the same manner as rotating the collar by hand. If a drill with ground flats were to grad, it wouldn't be able to slip in the jaws and would tighten the chuck to the limit of the available spindle torque, causing an over-tightened situation. The spanner would provide the additional torque required to loosen the chuck

I have been using keyless chucks for more than thirty years and have yet to require a spanner to tighten the chuck. If I had arthritis, that might be a different story though. On the lathe, if the drill begins to slip, a quick bit of additional tightening with the hand will augment the tightening action of the drill to secure the drill once again.

A bit more tricky on the drill press or mill where the chuck is rotating but still possible.

I’ve always called them hook spanners (as opposed to pin spanners with round pins).

Geez, seems several people here have genuine Albrechts — they don’t give those away!
Actually I did get one free a few years ago. I purchased a 2 stage air compressor from a local used equipment dealer. I went back a few weeks later to buy more equipment and the dealer asked how the compressor was working out. I mentioned it needed a new unloaded but since the repair it was working fine.

When I went to pay for the equipment he gave me a new 1/2 Albrecht keyless chuck at no charge to compensate for the repairs needed on the compressor. The truth be known the chuck was worth several times what I spent repairing the compressor.

Back