What do you call this type of spanner wrench?

If that's it, use a wrench gingerly. As @mmcmdl suggested, over-tightening is a good way to damage the jaws if they're fine.
GsT

Lol thanks. It looks like a automotive/motocross coil over spring adjuster would work. I didn’t have enough hand pressure to tighten it enough to keep the drill from slipping.
What size drill? This style chuck is self-tightening. Albrecht states that drills larger than the chuck capacity should not be used (eg. S&D drills). If using an S&D drill, hold it in a collet.

That’s a shars china lol. It drilled fine until it had to punch out the bottom. As it broke through it kept grabbing the drill bit. This was in a stainless metal at an angle so the exit broke through diagonal causing it to grab even more.

I don’t have a picture of it after drilling but that’s the part for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_2532.jpeg
    IMG_2532.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 24
What size drill? This style chuck is self-tightening. Albrecht states that drills larger than the chuck capacity should not be used (eg. S&D drills). If using an S&D drill, hold it in a collet.
5/16” drill. Like said earlier I’m healing up from a broken shoulder so I’m sure it’s strength limitation at the moment.

I’ve always called them hook spanners (as opposed to pin spanners with round pins).

Geez, seems several people here have genuine Albrechts — they don’t give those away!

Last edited:
This was in a stainless metal at an angle so the exit broke through diagonal causing it to grab even more.
Yikes. That’s literally the worst case I can imagine for a twist drill grabbing hard.

I guess the best you can do is gradually enlarge the hole working through several drill sizes.

With an offshore chuck for that job I’d use a hook spanner, too.

Maybe you can drop down to a smaller drill, punch through slowly and work your way back up to 5/16. Just dont get so small your chuck can’t grab it.

Have to decrease your pressure when breaking thru at an angle or the drill lips will grab . You are only cutting on one side at that point . Watch out when drilling thru thin stuff as well . The drill will want to thread itself down when breaking thru . Looks like your quill handle you are making .

Good advice. The fact that it’s a stainless steel part adds an additional element of fun.

I just checked, and I don’t think any genuine Albrecht chucks have holes in the adjuster for a hook spanner. Doubtless, this is for a reason.

Many if not most offshore chucks do include them. I suspect also for a reason (many definitely aren’t made to the same level of precision and quality).

Back